'Dragon Tattoo' Sequel Won't Write Out Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara Promises
Deep breaths, "Dragon Tattoo" fans: reports of Mikael Blomkvist's untimely death have been greatly exaggerated.
Earlier in the week, a report surfaced that a "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" sequel is indeed in the works -- but that it would proceed without Daniel Craig as the crusading journalist at the heart of the tale. The news was surprising for a variety of reasons; how could Blomkvist exit the film without fundamentally changing the narrative? And would the powers that be seriously entertain the notion of cutting the world-famous James Bond actor from the franchise?
Ask one key "Dragon Tattoo" player that very question, and the answer you'll receive is a resounding "no." MTV News spoke with Lisbeth Salander herself, actress Rooney Mara, at the New York City premiere of "Side Effects" on Thursday (January 31), and she denied reports that "The Girl Who Played with Fire" would move forward without Craig.
"I've been talking a lot with ['Dragon Tattoo' director David Fincher] about the sequel, and I don't know where that rumor was started -- but it would never be a possibility," Mara told MTV about rumors of Craig's exit. "He wouldn't be written out."
Mara insists that Craig's role is secure in the sequel, but she was less clear on whether or not Fincher would return to direct "The Girl Who Played with Fire."
"I would hope that he would," Mara said about the filmmaker's possible return to the director's chair. "But no matter what, he'll definitely have some sort of involvement."
Can you imagine a "Dragon Tattoo" sequel moving forward without Craig? How about without Fincher as director? Tell us in the comments section below!
Check out everything we've got on "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."