But now that J.J. Abrams is rebooting "Star Trek" to back when the original crew of the Enterprise were young, it’s the first time in eleven films that there wasn’t a corresponding TV series. Former "Star Trek" scribe and “Pushing Daisies” creator Bryan Fuller says that means it’s ripe time for "Star Trek" to hit the small screen once again.
“I would love to do another 'Star Trek' series,” Fuller said. “One where you could go back to the spirit and color of the original 'Star Trek,' because somehow, it got cold over the years. I love ‘Next Generation,’ but it’s a little cooler and calmer than the ones from the ‘60s, which were so dynamic and passionate.”
Fuller is such a fan that the way he got into the biz was by ditching a day job -- where he lied and said his grandmother had just died -- so that he could get a chance to write a script for “Deep Space Nine” (he also ended up writing for “Voyager”). “’Deep Space Nine’ was the best of the modern ones,” Fuller said, “because it was so emotionally complicated. ‘Enterprise’ was the most sterile of all of them, when it should have been the most fun.”
Fuller says he would want to break the mold and have more fun with the series -- you wouldn’t have to be on the same ship or have the same characters as the original 'Star Trek,' but you could be in the same timeline and universe. From what Fuller’s seen so far of J.J. Abrams’ version, he’s impressed -- “boy oh boy!” he gushed about the costumes – but he thinks Kirk, Spock, and McCoy should stay in the movies for now.
“'Star Trek' has to recreate itself,” Fuller said. “Otherwise, all the characters start to feel the same. You always have a captain, a doctor, a security officer, and you have the same arguments based on those perspectives. It starts to feel too familiar. So all those paradigms where it takes place on a starship have to be shaken up.”
Should 'Star Trek' stick to the big screen for now, or should there be another TV series? What would you want it to be about?
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023