If you haven't listened to Tori Kelly's music yet, I suggest (after you read this) to do so immediately.
The talented curly-haired 21-year-old MTV Artist to Watch singer gained a following with her YouTube cover songs of everyone from Bruno Mars to Michael Jackson. However, it was when she released her Foreward EP in October that people really started taking notice, including one very important person: Justin Bieber's manager Scooter Braun.
"He's so onboard with everything," Kelly told MTV News recently at MTV's Artist to Watch concert in Los Angeles. "And it's also really cool because we do butt heads and I think that's important to have in a manager because he just wants the best for me and my career.
"He's the type of guy that constantly pushes me to be a better artist, and for me, I need that. I need someone that's not a yes person. He's constantly giving me good advice to stay true to myself and he will definitely throw his opinion in there, and I can take that and use it as fuel."
Kelly is now currently in the studio working on her debut effort, which she describes as a mix between "more hip-hop edgy Lauryn Hill type of vibe" and her acoustic guitar.
Even though Kelly has no release date in mind for her debut effort or first single, fans should still be in the lookout for some new music. She recently finished working on a song with none other than Ed Sheeran.
"We actually wrote a song together and right now we are in the process of figuring out how to release it," Kelly said. "Maybe on a movie or some sort of soundtrack, but I'm absolutely in love with the song, and I can't wait for people to hear it."
Kelly opened up for the singer during one of his three shows at New York's Madison Square Garden this past November, and she admitted that she learned a thing-or-two from watching Sheeran work.
"He is probably one of the coolest real people in the industry as far as celebrities and people that are really doing it big. He's like the realest person ever," Kelly said. "Watching him be natural with everyone around him really inspired me, because I think a lot of times you get in front of a lot of people and you feel like you have to be this person, like this star, and just the fact that he can keep it real and you feel like you can just hang out with him, that's something that I took."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023