It looks like the Pussycat Dolls won't get their plastic makeover after all.
On Wednesday, less than a month after first announcing plans for a line of dolls based on the sexy sirens, Hasbro has announced its decision to shelve the figures indefinitely, declaring them "inappropriate" for young consumers because the act is targeted toward a more mature audience.
"Hasbro will not move forward with the line of dolls based on the Pussycat Dolls," a statement from the toy manufacturer reads. "[PCD's label] Interscope's current creative direction and images for the group are focused on a much older target than we had anticipated at the time of our original discussions, thereby making a doll line inappropriate for Hasbro."
A spokesperson for Hasbro declined further comment.
The statement marks a reversal for the nation's second-largest toymaker, who back in April claimed the dolls were suitable for young consumers because they "reflect the styles and fashions that are popular in the world today," and contended that the figures were not directly inspired by PCD's sexy stage show and videos (see [article id="1529180"]"Ever Dreamed Of Undressing A Pussycat Doll?"[/article]).
The PCD dolls were meant to be the first product in a long-term partnership between Hasbro and Interscope, a synergistic team-up that would have also seen the group record a new song to promote the toys.
Hasbro's announcement comes in the wake of pressure from Dads & Daughters, a national advocacy group that earlier this week launched a letter-writing campaign against the dolls.
"We were asking the executives at Hasbro -- who happen to be fathers and grandfathers -- to put their own daughters or granddaughters into the picture and then reconsider the dolls," Joe Kelly, the president of Dads & Daughters, told MTV News. "This is clearly an adult group, an act that grew out of cabaret, and I think [Hasbro's] decision to abandon the dolls was smart. I think our objections made sense. I mean, I don't think any father wants their 6-year-old daughter walking around like a sex kitten."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023