The Latin Alternative Music Conference, scheduled for August 13–15 at the Hilton Hotel and Towers in New York, isn't your typical music industry schmoozefest. More than that, it's an in-your-face challenge to label and media leaders who think Latin music starts and stops with Ricky Martin.
"There's a real stereotyping of Latin music," said festival organizer Josh Norek. "Especially in New York, where it's mostly a Puerto Rican/Dominican crowd, the media expect all Latinos to listen just to salsa and meringue. But out West and in Mexico, the Mexican population has been listening to rock since the '50s, and you've got great cutting-edge bands like Café Tacuba and Molotov popping up."
Many of these bands have no problem selling records, but Norek said they've been held back by indifferent or fearful radio executives. "You've got bands like Puya, a salsa-metal band from Puerto Rico. They've got an Anglo fanbase, but they still don't get that much airplay. Yet Rammstein gets played on K-ROCK, and how many of those listeners speak German?"
The conference schedule includes band showcases, panel discussions, an appearance by the Watcha tour of alternative-Latin artists and a Central Park SummerStage concert that includes groups from Venezuela, Argentina and Chile.
Online registration is available at latinalternative.com.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023