With reporting by Nadeska Alexis
A$AP Rocky has a big night ahead at the VMAs, where he'll take the stage with Twenty One Pilots for a performance that's sure to be just as unforgettable as it is surprising. But he'll also be in the house as a fan, able to enjoy the moment when Kanye West gets honored with the Video Vanguard Award. And, just like the rest of us, he's got some thoughts on Yeezy's speech.
"I hope he doesn't rant," Rocky told MTV News on Saturday.
Really, though?! You don't wan't to see one of those epic, legendary Kanye microphone grabs? You'd rather see tame Kanye?
"I don't know if I necessarily want to see a calm Kanye, but I don't want to see a ranting Kanye," he said. "He doesn't have a reason to rant right now. He's the man and he's getting rewarded for something that he did, influencing people such as myself to step it up, as far as videography goes. And I think it's gonna be amazing."
Oh, and he has one other idea.
"It'd be funny if Taylor Swift just comes up like, 'Uh, 'Ye, I'm happy for you -- but I deserve the [award]!'"
As for why 'Ye is getting the award? Well, it's for his lengthy history of putting out extremely dope visuals. Rocky's favorite? That's a tough call.
"Graduation has to be one of my favorite albums," he said. "I'm so simple, probably, like, 'Can't Tell Me Nothing.'"
Hey, great choice, man.
"No, you know what? Actually, my favorite Kanye video is 'Heard 'Em Say.'"
OK, then. Also valid. It's pretty hard to go wrong here.
"It was just artistic," he continued. "It seemed poetic. It was just the black and white pencil, kind of stencil look, drawings, the animation was crazy. I think he's so underrated. And him with Adam Levine from Maroon 5 -- it was just classic."
Oh, and that speech? Taylor crashing it may not be super high on the list of likely scenarios -- but we only have to wait one more day to find out.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023