"Harry Potter" can fill you with wonder. It can fill you with hope, and unending optimism that there's something special in all of us — that we can work together to make this world a better place.
It can also fill you with nightmares. Endless, bone-chilling nightmares.
Whether it's a brutal death scene, horrific creature design, or just Neville Longbottom dancing forever and ever, "Harry Potter" is brimming with nightmare fuel. Here are some of the reasons "Potter" keep us awake at night.
1. Let's start with Dementors.
2. DEMENTORS = NIGHTMARE FUEL.
3. Also Professor Quirrell, what with his terrifying doubled-faced Voldemort head.
4. Even Moaning Myrtle brings the nightmare fuel.
5. MOANING MYRTLE = NIGHTMARES.
6. Ron having to "follow the spiders," also not cool.
7. Even Sirius Black caused nightmares, as seen with his mad mugshot in the Daily Prophet.
8. And his fireplace face in the Gryffindor Common Room.
9. And, of course, his gut-wrenching death.
10. Severus Snape, half-blood prince of all nightmares, especially when wearing Neville Longbottom's grandmother's dress.
11. But mostly that time he killed Dumbledore.
12. And also that time he died.
13. Whoops, wrong death scene. Here, this is more like it:
14. Really, all of the deaths, like that time Voldemort was a baby...
15. ...and he ordered the death of Cedric Diggory.
16. Or that time Dobby died.
17. Even Voldemort's death, which was a dream come true, came in the form of nightmarish skin disintegration.
18. Basically, if Death Eaters are involved, nightmare fuel is involved as well. Exhibit A: The Death Eaters Mark.
19. Exhibit B: The Death Eaters Mark, now with more kidnapping!
20. Exhibit C: Renowned Death Eater Barty Crouch, always with the weird tongue stuff.
21. Exhibit D: Renowned Death Eater Barty Crouch, posing as Mad-Eye Moody, again with the weird tongue stuff.
22. Even the heroes had their moments of horror, such as when young Neville Longbottom threatened to kick all of the butts.
23. Or when Neville danced in circles, forever and evermore in all of your nightmares… forever.
24. Or when Ron Weasley was forced to wear that haunting outfit to the Yule Ball.
25. Or that time Ron got captured by mermaids and turned into a plastic doll.
26. Those mermaids were pretty horrifying on their own, actually.
27. Still not as horrifying as the Dementors.
28. SERIOUSLY. DEMENTORS.
29. DE. MEN. TORS.
What are some of your "Harry Potter" nightmares?