While the Beatles had incredible chemistry together, they each had particular personalities that made them unique. John Lennon brought the vision of a worldly artist, Paul McCartney delivered romanticism, George Harrison was the spiritualist and Ringo Starr was the four-headed monster's cheeky sense of humor. Everybody seemed to have a different favorite, and the choices are usually predictable.
As a natural leader and a future-seeking visionary, Jack White -- of the White Stripes, the Raconteurs and currently the Dead Weather -- seems like he'd be a John guy, but as it turns out, he's a softie at heart.
"Paul is my favorite Beatle," the guitarist told MTV News backstage at the Outside Lands Festival. "He's been a big influence on me -- especially the way that he sings."
White cited an early track as the point of inspiration for his Paul love. "I heard a cover song they did early on called 'Hippy Hippy Shake' that Paul sang, and I loved how high he sang it," White said. "My voice isn't comfortable in that higher range, but that song was a big influence on me trying to get my voice somewhere like that."
The song appeared on the 1994 album Live at the BBC, which contained recordings between 1963 and '65, and was originally written by Chan Romero and made popular by the Swinging Blue Jeans. "Hippy Hippy Shake" isn't available on "The Beatles: Rock Band," but 45 other tunes are, and starting Wednesday, gamers will be able to practice their best Paul voice (complete with three-part harmonies) on songs like "Paperback Writer," "A Hard Day's Night" and "Getting Better."
For more on "The Beatles: Rock Band," check out Multiplayer.MTV.com.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023