Katy Perry Tweets About Russell Brand's Deportation From Japan

Brand was forced to leave the country on Saturday because of unspecified prior offenses.

Russell Brand's past just keeps catching up with him. No, we're not talking about his critically panned remake of "Arthur," but rather his bad-boy days before he cleaned up his act, rebooted his career and married pop queen [artist id="3274550"]Katy Perry[/artist].

According to tweets from Perry, Brand was held in custody by Japanese authorities on Saturday before later being deported from the country as a result of unspecified offenses from a decade ago.

Brand had flown to Japan to watch Perry perform a show, and the singer provided updates to fans about her hubby's legal problems. "So ... my husband just got deported from Japan," Perry tweeted on Saturday afternoon. "I am so. sad. I brought him all this way to show him my favorite place #tokyodreamscrushed."

About an hour later she updated the situation and said that Brand was sent packing for "priors from over 10 years ago!" She did not specify what those prior offenses were. Brand, a self-professed former sex and drug addict, has a long history of arrests in England, as well as a [article id="1649595"]2010 arrest for attacking a paparazzo[/article] at Los Angeles International Airport.

Despite the international incident, Perry told her fans she had no ill will toward Japanese authorities. "But of COURSE I ♥ my Japanese fans & the show #MUSTGOON no matter the daily aftershocks or husband kidnappings! #it'snotrightbutit'soka."

Brand also kept his chin up and brushed off the incident in his usual self-deprecating manner. "Planning escape from Japanese custody. It's bloody hard to dig a tunnel with a chopstick," he tweeted after his deportation on Sunday, noting soon after that "Stockholm Syndrome kicking in. Just asked my guard out for (vegetarian) sushi. He giggled."

Once the ordeal was over, Brand added, "Alcatraz! Shawshank Redemption! And now this! Ah, sweet blue bird of freedom!" According to reports, Tokyo immigration officials declined to comment on the incident, citing privacy issues.