For the past two years, Gaiman and Roger Avary (also known as the "Beowulf" writing team ) had been working to adapt Charles Burns' acclaimed graphic novel "Black Hole" -- you know, the twelve-issue series where high school kids in the '70s get a sexually transmitted disease called "teen plague," which at first, has no known cause. Some only got a rash. Others became monsters and grew new body parts, like a tail or an extra mouth or webbing. It's like a mini-AIDS, with all the sexual-social outsider issues that entails but way more mutations.
Splat Packer Alexandre Aja ("The Hills Have Eyes," "Mirrors") was originally going to direct, but then David Fincher came aboard. Good for name recognition at the box office, not always so good for the writers working under him. "Once they got David Fincher on," Gaiman said, "David explained his process consisted of having over ten drafts, done over and over, and Roger and I were sort of asked if we wanted to, if we were interested in doing that. And we definitely weren't."
So Gaiman and Avary "sort of stood aside," he said. Fincher still has their last draft of the script, and he can work with it from there, but Gaiman doesn't know the status of the project any further than that.
"So we'll wait and see what happens," he said. "I just hope whatever happens, it's faithful to 'Black Hole.'"
Do you think Gaiman and Avary should have stepped aside? Who would you want to see play Keith, Chris, Rob, Eliza, Dave, Dee, Jill, and the rest of the teens?
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023