During a Q&A with fans on Twitter on Tuesday, Nicki Minaj named "All Things Go" as one of the two most emotional songs (along with "Grand Piano") on her upcoming album The Pinkprint. Now we can hear why.
The album's opening track, "All Things Go" has three verses, each of which tackle different topics, but all of which are deeply personal.
The first verse starts by talking broadly about fame and life, before she touches on her desire to be a mother: "Life is a movie, but there will never be a sequel/ And I'm good with that, as long as I'm peaceful/ As long as 7 years from now, I'm taking my daughter to preschool."
It's a subject she's talked about before, including in a recent Complex magazine cover story, where the Young Money rapper said she plans to have children by her fifth album. Later in the verse, she references a marriage proposal from a decade ago, likely from longtime boyfriend Safaree "SB" Samuels.
In the second verse, she mourns her cousin who was killed in a "senseless act of violence" back in 2011. Nicki flirts with blaming herself, wondering if it wouldn't have happened if he had been staying with her like his sister had asked. "I pop a pill and remember the look in his eyes, the last day he saw me," she raps.
The final verse is perhaps the most personal, as Nicki opens up about her relationship with her mother and siblings, as well as losing a child -- either through abortion or miscarriage presumably (something she also referenced in 2008's "Autobiography") -- over a decade-and-a-half ago. "I want 'Caiah to go to college, just to say 'We did it!'/ My child with Aaron, would've have been sixteen, any minute/ So in some ways I feel like 'Caiah, is the both of them," she raps, referencing her younger brother, Macaiah.
The specificity of her references is more than we typically get in Nicki's music, as she's often private about her personal life both on and off wax. We'll be able to hear what else Nicki has to offer when The Pinkprint hits stores on December 15.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023