And while Chris Evans has emerged victorious from the various contenders on his way to starring as Captain America, director Joe Johnston has revealed that Evans was cast in the role without having to audition.
"Chris didn't audition at all," said Johnston during an interview with Earth's Mightiest. "I was already familiar with everything he'd done and was championing his cause, not that I had a fight from the Marvel team. They were fans of his as well. He came in to the art department to say hi, saw all the jaw-dropping art and designs on the wall and reacted the way I'd hoped he would."
"It was really his wonderful enthusiasm for everything he saw that cinched the deal," continued Johnston. "We have some of the best designers and illustrators in the industry working for us and the art is just incredible to wander through. He will bring the perfect balance of dramatic performance and physicality to the role."
Johnston also addressed rumors that another actor would portray Steve Rogers before he receives the super-soldier serum that turns him into Captain America.
"Casting Captain America is really casting two roles," related Johnston. "Steve Rogers before and after the transformation from 98 pound weakling to perfect physical specimen. I can't divulge how we're going to do it, but the performance will be Chris Evans from beginning to end. An actor playing Captain America has to embody that backstory and let it inform his understanding of his new self. One of the interesting aspects of the character is the effect that kind of total transformation would have on the his psyche. It gives the character more dimension and the actor playing him a wider range of interesting choices."
Alice Eve and Hayley Atwell are reportedly in contention for the female lead in "Captain America" , while Hugo Weaving is in negotiations to appear as the Red Skull. Sebastian Stan has also signed on to portray Bucky Barnes — Captain America's first partner.
"Captain America" is scheduled to begin filming in June and will be released in July, 2011.
Should Chris Evans have read for the role before being cast? Is CGI and makeup trickery enough to make Evans a convincing "pre-super-soldier serum" Steve Rogers? Unleash the vita rays and let us know what you're thinking in the comment section or on Twitter!
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023