Photo by Frank Micelotta/Getty Images
YO! MTV Raps is back. Thirty years after the influential show brought hip-hop into millions of households across the country, it's being revived for a new generation. The iconic series will be reinvented on MTV and its digital platforms. To celebrate, the YO! MTV Raps: 30th Anniversary Experience will touch down at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center on June 1.
The live show will feature a legendary lineup of artists who helped make the series iconic, including Big Daddy Kane and the Juice Crew, Eric B & Rakim, Doug E. Fresh, KRS-One and Boogie Down Productions, EPMD, Flavor Flav and many more. The celebration also wouldn't be possible without featuring past hosts and DJs who helped shepherd the series like Fab 5 Freddy, Ed Lover, Doctor Dré, T-Money, Skribble, Red Alert, and Chuck Chillout. Tribute videos from artists like Eminem, Method Man, and Redman will also commemorate the occasion.
YO! MTV Raps debuted on August 6, 1988, and seismically changed the way people around the world viewed the nascent genre. The bright, bombastic, and sometimes tense interviews and performances from artists like Tupac, Wu-Tang Clan, and Notorious B.I.G. helped the series become a must-stop destination for an entire generation of artists.
In a Rolling Stone interview with Doctor Dré, the YO! MTV Raps weekday co-host described what the show meant.
"YO! MTV Raps … actually put hip-hop on the map around the globe," Dré said. "From southeast Asia … to Peru, Argentina. Antarctica even used to watch YO! MTV Raps. I used to get mail from many different African nations – including Wakanda."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023