Rumors about RiRi's change of scenery began swirling online on Monday (May 5), when Complex pointed out that Def Jam's website listed her under the "Legacy" artist section, and Roc Nation's said that the singer was not only managed by the outfit, as she has been since 2010, but also on the label.
MTV News has learned that the label change occurred in April 2013, when Hov partnered Roc Nation with Universal Music Group. According to our source, Def Jam will still play a role in the marketing and promotion of the pop star's music, but she is technically a Roc Nation artist and it is unclear whether the Def jam logo will appear on her next release.
Now, she joins J. Cole, Rita Ora, Jay Electronica and more at the house that Hovie built. The move, while surely notable, isn't completely surprising. RiRi was first brought to the Def Jam by Jay in 2005, during his days as President. She went on to release seven album through the storied label.
Rihanna's last album, Unapologetic, was released in 2012.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023