Did you watch Sunday night's VMAs and wonder how you too can re-create the Franc Fernandez-designed [article id="1647762"]Lady Gaga meat dress[/article]? Well, wonder no more. MTV News caught up with the now-infamous designer and he very simply explained how one makes a dress made entirely of meat.
"Go to your butcher, get some good cuts and start sewing," he said about Gaga's getup, which was her third look of VMA night. Before her fashions got meaty, the singer wore two gowns -- one designed by the late Alexander McQueen and one by Giorgio Armani. However, those ultra-glam garbs were overshadowed by Fernandez's over-the-top look.
"I was approached by [fellow fashion stylist] Nicola Formichetti to create the look. It was planned over a week period," Fernandez explained about how the dress came to fruition. "It's always a pleasure working with Nicola and Gaga, the times I have. The process is very easy and quick."
While the process may have been "easy and quick," Gaga did have to wear the dress for an extended period of time. "She wore it for as long as it was seen on TV, with some additional press photos and [article id="1647701"]for the 'Ellen' show[/article]," he explained, adding that he wasn't at all worried about the meat spoiling.
"There's been a big debate of whether it smelled or rotted under the lights," he said. "Gaga herself said it smelled good, because it smelled like meat. I chose the right cuts to make sure the dress kept well."
What's next for Fernandez, who also lent his talents to Gaga and Beyoncé's "Telephone" video? "I'm working on a few different projects with some great creative friends," he teased.
While the creative designer has some projects lined up, fans might be wondering what is next for the dress itself. Well, he explained its fate to the MTV Style blog. "The dress will be put in an archive with all of her dresses. The Gaga Archives, I suppose. It won't last, that's the beauty of it. When it is brought out again, hopefully it will be in a retrospective, and it will be a different dress, which is the best thing. I like the idea of it changing and evolving into something else," he explained. "My butcher said I could taxidermy it if I wanted it to stay the way it is, and I didn't want it to stay that way. Seems like a waste to keep it that way, than to watch it change."
The Moonmen have all been handed out and the stars have gone home, but there's plenty of 2010 MTV Video Music Awards news, interviews, behind-the-scenes scoop, party reports and more still to come, so keep it locked on MTVNews.com.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023