Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
But Dr. Luke isn’t going down without a fight. Clearly bitter about the decision, his attorneys promptly filed for an appeal on Friday (March 20) in an attempt to overturn it.
The ongoing, back-and-forth legal battle started in October 2014, when Kesha filed a claim in California that her former producer had manipulated her, forced her to do drugs, and “sexually, physically, verbally, and emotionally abused” her.
Shortly after, Dr. Luke filed his own complaint in New York, saying the 28-year-old singer fabricated the incidents in an extortion scheme to get out of a recording contract, and alleging that it was all part of a smear campaign to defame his character. His lawsuit also targeted Kesha’s mother and her reps at Vector Management.
Since those filings, the judges have been tasked with deciding who should proceed first. Earlier this month, a New York Supreme Court justice decided the California case should move forward first because both Kesha and Dr. Luke live there, and because the alleged incidents took place in California.
This is a small — though potentially significant — victory for Kesha, but one thing’s for sure: this is going to be a long legal battle that we won’t be hearing the end of anytime soon.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023