Nicki Minaj is a dominating force not just in rap, but in the entire world of music, entertainment, and pop culture. She's only two albums deep, with a third, The Pinkprint, on the way this December. So, in many ways, it feels like there's still a lot we're expecting from Nicki musically. And while she has no plans to step back immediately, she does say that there's something that could -- and she hopes will -- pull her away.
"I won’t use the word 'retire' but I would use the word 'vacation' -- because I don’t believe in vacations, I don’t believe in holidays," she told Complex for their new cover story. "I have to put out all six of my albums, contractually. After the fifth, I’ll probably have my baby."
She seems pretty set on that timetable. From there, though, who knows how things will play out.
"I wonder if I’m going to be one of those women who balances my child with a career," she said. "I always said, 'When I have my baby, it’s going to be all about my baby.' I don’t want the child feeling like they don’t have all of my attention, so I always said, 'I’m going to take a little break.' But we’ll see."
In other parts of the interview, the Young Money artist talks about how her hectic scheduled has impacted her personal life -- often negatively. She lamented the times when she's come to New York -- where her family lives -- on business, without getting the chance to see loved ones. Which sounds like it's especially hard, since she lives across the country, in California.
"[My biggest fear is] that I’ll become so consumed with work that I’ll forget to live my personal life to the fullest. If I’m done with my fifth album and I don’t have a child by then, no matter how much money I have, I would be disappointed, as a woman, because I feel like I was put here to be a mother."
As for marriage?
"I have definitely put off the wife thing because I don’t want people in my business," the 31-year-old, who has always been quiet about her dating life, added. "I’d rather not do anything that’s going to be on paper but I definitely will be married before I have my baby. I want to make sure I do it in that order. I’ve always felt like that since I was young; my mother always put that in my head. By the fifth album, I will have walked down the aisle and I will at least be on baby number one, possibly baby number two. And have $500 million."
Hey, why not?
She also called The Pinkprint, "a dope balance of vulnerability and strength," which we'll all be able to hear firsthand on December 15.
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023