A subject of MTV's "Catfish" series, Michael Fortunato, died in Hartford, Connecticut, Saturday from a pulmonary embolism, MTV News has learned. The 26-year-old New Jersey native starred in the "Ashley and Mike" episode from season two, which followed he and 20-year-old Ashley Sawyer as they met for the first time after being in a seven-year online relationship.
An autopsy has yet to be released, but Mike's younger sister, Gena, confirmed the death to MTV News Monday night. A spokesperson for the Farmington, Connecticut, chief medical examiner's office told MTV News that Fortunato died at Hartford Hospital as a result of a pulmonary embolism due to deep vein thrombosis.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Michael Fortunato," read a statement from an MTV spokesperson. "Our condolences, thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time."
Sawyer, who also opened up about his death, said Mike texted her early Saturday morning saying he was considering going to the hospital, but later wrote that he changed his mind. His sister Gena, 21, tells MTV News that Fortunato left his Connecticut workplace early to drive himself to the hospital, but swerved and hit a fence en route. When the paramedics arrived at the scene they transported him to the hospital for treatment. Two hours later, Gena said she got the call from her mom that Mike had died.
"I don't even know where to start," Gena said, still clearly struck by the loss of her big brother. "He was a little kid at heart -- a gentle giant. He's somebody who put everybody before himself; everybody else came before him. The biggest heart that you'd ever meet."
Sawyer certainly echoed her praise, calling him "the most honest, loyal person I'd ever met in my life."
"He would give anybody the last shirt he had -- anything," 20-year-old Sawyer told us. "He would put his life on hold just to make sure other people moved forward. He always put people first."
From the first moment they met in person -- an altogether touching meeting despite the fact that neither were exactly what the other expected -- the couple's story touched viewers everywhere. And even though the episode left with Mike and Ashley on unsure ground, she tells us they were "very much in love." The two had planned to spend New Year's together in her hometown of Atlanta, when she and Gena would finally get to meet. In fact, Mike invited Gena to the New Year's trip during the last conversation with her brother.
"Me and him were very much in love... We were definitely moving forward," Sawyer said. "If more people were like Mike, everybody would be a little happier in the world."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023