There's the good, the great, and then there's the BEST. Welcome to MTV Geek's Best of 2012 -- what we thought were the cream of the crop this year in the world of GEEK!
By Valerie Gallaher, Eddie Wright, Alex Zalben and Charles Webb
10. THE END OF THE F***ING WORLD - Eddie says: "Pulls you in like no other comic this year. Stunning in its simplicity and brave in its subject matter. Charles Forsman is a future force and the discovery of this work and his Oily Comics is like stumbling onto the ultimate secret in comic books, but based on how great TEOTFW is, it won't be much a secret longer."
9. HARBINGER - Charles says: "The new hero at the heart of Valiant's "Harbinger" relaunch is troubled and maybe even a little morally... icky, I guess is the best word for it. But watching him evolve has been part of the fascination of this still new series."
8. BEFORE WATCHMEN: MINUTEMEN - Valerie says: "This book has balls; the spiritual companion to Darwyn Cooke's 'New Frontier.'"
7. SNARKED - Alex says: "After having his run cut just short with 'Thor: The Mighty Avenger,' we finally got to see a true, full Roger Langridge epic pull to completion in "Snarked." The story of a Walrus, a Carpenter, a Red Queen, and various other Lewis Carroll beasties adventure together, this was by turns one of the funniest, and sweetest books of the year – and a true all-ages classic."
6. FANTASTIC FOUR/FF (Tie) - Valerie says: "The smartest mainstream comic book, period, thanks to Jonathan Hickman." Alex says: "The last issue of 'FF,' in particular, was probably the best statement on the imagination and wonder of childhood since the final 'Calvin & Hobbes' strip. That's good stuff."
5. PROPHET - Valerie says: "Groundbreaking, mind-provoking material; reading 'Watchmen' or 'Dark Knight Returns' must have felt like this in the 80s, discovering a new classic."
4. MIND MGMT - Eddie says: "A challenging, brilliant mystery. Matt Kindt's art is simply perfect. "Mind MGMT" is a true original and should not be missed."
3. BATMAN - Eddie says: "Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo have managed to create some of the most definitive Batman stories ever. 'Night of the Owls' was a fantastic arc that expanded on the mythology of Bruce Wayne, Batman, Gotham City and the Bat-Family. Snyder and Batman are a match made in heaven."
2. HAWKEYE - Alex says: "While most people were asking what a guy with arrows was doing with a thunder god, a super soldier, and a guy with armor, writer Matt Fraction and artist David Aja asked a much more pertinent question: what does he do with his days off? This frequently hilarious, brilliantly laid out series answers that question, while laying the groundwork for a unique mentor/mentee relationship between Clint Barton, and the younger, probably far more capable Hawkeye Kate Bishop."
1. SAGA - Alex says: "It’s very rare when a comic lives up to its promise, but I think it’s fair to say at this point that Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples sci-fi epic surpassed the already lofty expectations for the book. Credit Vaughan’s limitless imagination and heart, but mainly Staples jaw-droppingly gorgeous art, which mixes rocketship trees, alien wars, and TV-men sitting on the toilet, and makes them all stunning."
"The Big & Best of 2012: A Year End Celebration Presented by T-Mobile" goes LIVE at 12 p.m. ET on 12/12/12. Watch at BigAndBestOf2012.com for eight hours of live performances from stars like Bruno Mars and Miguel, special editions of "RapFix Live" with Ma$e and A$AP Rocky, "Big Morning Buzz Live," "MTV After Hours" with Norman Reedus, "You Oughta Know," surprise guest appearances, prize giveaways and much much more!