It's been a few months since "Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes" hit theaters, and we're still thinking about the incredible battles - and where the franchise might go in the sequel. Sadly, the Blu-ray doesn't come out until December 2... But "Apes" fans can sate their thirst for more in the meantime by getting their damn, dirty hands on "Planet of the Apes: The Evolution of the Legend," a new book with never-before-seen concept art from the series.
The volume from Titan Books, featuring production art, costume designs, makeup tests, posters, and interviews with key crewmembers doesn't hit stores until October 14, but MTV News is able to exclusively reveal key pages from the tome, including several pieces of concept art from "Dawn" that show a very different look at the film's apes.
1. Concept art of astronauts making their way across a bleak landscape, from the original "Planet Of The Apes."
2. Originally, the Apes had a far more technologically advanced civilization than what ended up on screen.
3. Zira, from "Beneath the Planet of the Apes," flies a flag bearing a slogan familiar to Vietnam protestors during the 1960s.
4. Rare concept art from the latest film, "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." Here, the apes hunt for wildlife in the forest.
5. At least at one point, the production considered putting clothes on the Apes.
6. Given the warpaint seen in "Dawn," it would have been fascinating to see a gentler, kinder take.
7. The now-classic tank scene from "Dawn" either got a follow-up, or was initially set during the day. Either way, we want to watch that scene again.
"Planet of the Apes: The Evolution of the Legend" is in bookstores everywhere on October 14 from Titan Books.