Drake Just Hit Back At Hot 97’s Funkmaster Flex With Serious Fighting Words

The rapper calls the DJ’s skills into question at his Summer Sixteen tour after-party

If the feud between Drake and Hot 97 is aflame, the rapper just did the verbal equivalent of grabbing a whole jug of gasoline and dousing the growing blaze.

On August 4, the first night of Drake and Future’s four-night stand at Madison Square Garden on their Summer Sixteen tour, the rapper wasted no time in expressing how he felt about New York’s prominent radio station. Hot 97 launched the rumor that Drake had issues with Eminem, and though Hot 97’s Ebro took responsibility for the flare of gossip, Drake was still mad enough to comment about the whole ordeal onstage and call for the dismissal of scene veteran and fellow DJ at the station, Funkmaster Flex.

Fast-forward to August 6: Drake’s still headlining the Garden, and Funkmaster Flex threw himself into the fray. He started by making fun of Drake’s fan base (“70 percent of your fans wear high heels, the other 30 percent are guys who wear sandals” — if that counts as a dis, even?), and pushing all the hot buttons that came up in the Meek Mill versus Drake skirmish, specifically accusing him of using ghostwriters.

“If you have help on your music, and on your bars, to compete for the top ... it’s an issue,” he said. “You wanted people to think that you write your bars. You wanted people to think that on that BlackBerry those [words] were yours, and that you wrote that. I see through you. And that’s why you so angry.”

At the Summer Sixteen tour’s after-party later that night, Drake, clearly agitated, addressed the crowd and called Flex out directly.

Drake showed love for NYC’s hip-hop DJs, but not without hurling hate Flex’s way. By painting Flex as a DJ who plays “the songs four weeks late and shit trying to sound cool, late night, prime-time on the radio, 7 to 9 o’clock talking all that bullshit,” he then highlighted “the real DJs who know real music and shit like that.”

As for Flex? He laughed it off, tried to make “#Sandalman” a thing, and filled up his timeline with retweets from those bashing the rapper’s response.

Looks like this won’t be the last of the 6 versus 212 sparring match.

Latest News