Man Beaten At Korn Concert Dies

Victim beaten after asking two unidentified men to be careful of his pregnant girlfriend.

A 30-year-old man who was beaten in the mosh pit at the Atlanta date of Korn's Family Values Tour on Sunday night has died.

Andy Richardson was declared dead around 2 p.m. Tuesday (August 1) but remains on life support so that doctors may harvest his organs for donation, according to Atlanta's WSB-TV.

With the death of Richardson — who had been placed on life support after being declared brain-dead — what began as an investigation into a brutal assault has become a murder investigation. Homicide detectives were already at work on the case, as Richardson was not expected to survive his injuries.

According to WSB, Richardson had been listed in critical condition following the fracas, in which two unidentified men attacked him in the mosh pit. Richardson had asked the men to be careful not to hurt his pregnant girlfriend and a mentally impaired child accompanying them.

A spokesperson for Korn said the band had no comment on Richardson's murder.

"Can you imagine your child goes to a concert and be killed for it, because of people out there fighting to have a quote unquote good time?" Richardson's mom, Gloria told the station. "And I'm angry. I'm very angry. Why were the police not there to stop them?"

A friend of Richardson's who attended the Korn-headlined show with him, Edgar Arellano, said the fight broke out after Richardson asked the men to be careful, but it ended soon after that and the men left the area. "We were all enjoying the concert, we were having a good time, until these two guys came around," Arellano said, adding that the men showed up again and one of them punched Richardson in the head, knocking him headfirst onto the concrete.

"He was unconscious. He had blood all over his face when I picked him up," Arellano said.

WSB-TV reported that homicide investigators are looking into the beating, but have only a vague description of the suspects. A spokesperson for the Atlanta Police Department could not be reached for comment at press time. A spokesperson for the amphitheater could not be reached for comment.

[This story was originally published at 8:52 a.m. ET on 08.01.06]