The Flaming Lips are hitting the road this summer, and they'll no doubt bring their smoke machines with them. And their giant balloons, their confetti, their fuzzy bunny costumes and as many other of their fun onstage props as they can fit into their trucks.
You'll be able to catch it all at a club near you (or an amphitheatr, state fair, whatever) when they launch a full-scale headlining tour on July 22 at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, California. Acts that will accompany them at various dates include the Go! Team, Sonic Youth, Ween and Wolfmother.
The Lips will mix their headlining gigs with a string of appearances at summer festivals, including slots on the Hedgpeth Festival in Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, on July 28, Lollapalooza on August 5 in Chicago (see "Kanye West, Red Hot Chili Peppers Lead Lollapalooza '06 Lineup") and Austin City Limits in, um, Austin, Texas, on September 15. The band will also jet off to Japan to play two festival dates in mid-August.
According to a spokesperson for the band's label, Warner Bros. Records, more dates will be announced in the coming weeks. The Flaming Lips' latest album, At War With the Mystics, was released last month and debuted at #11 on the Billboard albums chart — the band's highest-ever debut.
Flaming Lips tour dates, according to Warner Bros. Records:
- 7/22 - Berkeley, CA @ The Greek Theatre
- 7/23 - Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
- 7/28 - Twin Lakes, WI @ Hedgpeth Festival
- 7/29 -Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- 8/3 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH @ Blossom Music Center (92.3 K-Rock Presents Kuyahoga)
- 8/4 - Detroit, MI @ State Theatre
- 8/5 - Chicago, IL @ Grant Park (Lollapalooza)
- 8/24 - St. Paul, MN @ Minnesota State Fair
- 8/25 - Council Bluffs, IA @ Harrah's Stir Cove
- 8/26 - St. Louis, MO @ The Pageant
- 8/28 - Columbus, OH @ Lifestyle Communities Pavilion
- 8/31 - Allentown, PA @ TBA
- 9/1 - Syracuse, NY @ TBA
- 9/3 - Boston, MA @ Bank of America Pavilion
- 9/6 - Atlantic City, NJ @ House of Blues
- 9/7 - Burlington, VT @ Patrick Gymnasium
- 9/15 - Austin, TX @ Zilker Park (Austin City Limits)
For lots more on the Flaming Lips, dig into the feature "The Flaming Lips: At War With Complacency."