Sealed With a Kiss: R. Kelly's serialized "Trapped in the Closet" video drama is either genius or preposterous, depending on whom you ask, but Kelly's got plenty of explaining to do on the DVD set, which includes seven new chapters, running commentary and behind-the-scenes snips.
Greatest Delights: Whether you can or can't get enough of them, Tom DeLonge, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker are back this week with newly refined — and not-so-refined — product. Two unreleased cuts and a bonus DVD come with Greatest Hits, while the Haunted Cities do-over is done up right by Paul Wall.
Set Splinters: Nirvana completists undoubtedly nabbed last year's With the Lights Out box set, but even those fans will need Sliver: The Best of the Box. It's got unreleased takes of "Spank Thru," "Sappy" and a rehearsal version of "Come as You Are," plus some snappy, never-before-seen cover artwork.
Heavy Mettle: Ozzy's cover of the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" may not be surprising, but his takes on John Lennon's "Working Class Hero" and King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" sure are. And if you're looking for live tunes to sate your metal tastes, look no further than Slipknot's two-timing 9.0: Live, which is loaded with 24 tracks' worth of easy-listening pleasure (knot).
Like Mother, Like Daughter: June Carter Cash's Church in the Wildwood comes back this week, while the illustrious wife of Johnny is also hailed with Ring of Fire: The Best of June Carter Cash. In the meantime her daughter Rosanne also gets the reissue treatment with remastered versions of Interiors, King's Record Shop and Seven Year Ache.
Song Title of the Week:
- "Amazedisgrace" (3's Wake Pig)
Carlos Santana's All That I Am: Carlos keeps it seemingly simple with "Hermes," "Fuego" and "Con," but makes it a bit more complicated with a Spanish-language tune ("Do Tu Amor") and a DVD's worth of goodies. Oye como va again.
Public Enemy's New Whirl Order: In case you've been dodging Best Buys, PE's latest drops in other retail outlets this week. Recorded with Moby and led by the single "MKLVFKWR," Chuck and Flav keep it even realer with a bonus DVD filled with multimedia tracks, commentary and mo'.
Killing Joke's "XXV Gathering: The Band That Preys Together Stays Together" DVD: Every bit as ominous as it sounds, "XXV Gathering" finds founding and recently recruited members of the U.K.'s dastardly denizen digging into 17 tracks' worth of devastating dirge punk. It's the only DVD available from Jaz and company, so even if you missed the Shepherd's Bush Empire show, it'll be worth your wail.
- 3 - Wake Pig (Metal Blade)
- 7th Octave - Seventh Degree (Slam Jamz)
- The Alabama Boys - No Way I Can Lose (SMC)
- Altamont - The Monkees' Uncle (Ant Acid Audio)
- Trey Anastasio - Shine (two CDs; Columbia)
- Burt Bacharach - At This Time (Columbia)
- Ballerz Ink - Tha Hustle (Thump)
- Bobby Bare - The Moon Was Blue (Dualtone)
- BirdMan - Fast Money: Screwed and Chopped (Universal)
- Blink-182 - Greatest Hits (with DVD; Geffen)
- Terri Clark - Life Goes On (Mercury Nashville)
- The Cops - Get Good or Stay Bad (Mt. Fuji)
- A.J. Croce - Early On (Seedling)
- Deep Purple - Rapture of the Deep (Eagle Rock)
- Dishwalla - Live ... Greetings From the Flow State (DualDisc; Immergent)
- D.P.G. - Dillinger and Young Gotti II: Tha Saga Continuez (Gangsta Advisory)
- Ed Gein - Judas Goats & Dieseleaters (Metal Blade)
- Fatlip - Theloneliest Punk (with DVD; Delicious Vinyl)
- Garaj Mahal - Blueberry Cave (Harmonized)
- Goldfrapp - Number 1 EP (enhanced; Mute)
- Guitar Wolf - Golden Black: Greatest Hits (Narnack)
- John Hiatt - Live From Austin TX (New West)
- William Hooker, Glenn Hall, Lee Ranaldo - Oasis of Whispers (Alien8)
- Imogen Heap - Speak for Yourself (RCA)
- The Impossebulls - Slave Education (Slam Jamz)
- Freddie Jackson - Personal Reflections (Artemis)
- Eric Johnson - Live From Austin TX (New West)
- Sander Kleinenberg and Lee Burridge - This Is Everybody! On Tour (two CDs; Ultra)
- Diana Krall - Christmas Songs (Verve)
- Lagwagon - Resolve (Fat Wreck Chords)
- Lokote - Dia De Los Muertos (Thump)
- Brian McBride - When the Detail Lost Its Freedom (Kranky)
- Kate and Anna McGarrigle - The McGarrigle Christmas Hour (Nonesuch)
- Montgomery Gentry - Something to Be Proud of: Best of 1999-2005 (Columbia)
- Move.Meant - The Good Money EP (Wax Paper)
- Nirvana - Sliver: The Best of the Box (Geffen)
- OC - Smoke and Mirrors (Red Urban)
- Tony Orlando & Dawn - A Christmas Reunion (R2)
- Ozzy Osbourne - Under Covers (DualDisc; Epic)
Buy Now: Under Covers (DualDisc; Epic)
- The Panic Division - Versus (Militia Group)
- The Peasall Sisters - Home to You (Dualtone)
- Princess - Princess (Sick Room)
- Public Enemy - New Whirl Order (Slam Jamz)
- Carlos Santana - All That I Am (with bonus DVD; Arista)
Read: "Guest List For New Santana LP: Big Boi, Mary J., Will.I.Am, Bo Bice And More"
- Ulrich Schanuss - Far Away Trains Passing By (with bonus EP; Domino)
- Signal Drift - Set Design (Consumers Research)
- Slipknot - 9.0: Live (two CDs; Roadrunner)
Read: "Slipknot Cap A Year Of Destruction With 9.0: Live; More Stone Sour On Tap"
- Speech - Vagabond (Bluehammock)
- Sun Kil Moon - Tiny Cities (Digipak; Caldo Verde)
- Test Icicles - Boa Vs. Python EP (Domino)
- Texas Tornados - Live From Austin TX (New West)
- Third Day - Wherever You Are (Essential)
- Transplants - Haunted Cities - Screwed and Chopped by DJ Paul Wall (Atlantic)
Read: "Transplants Team Up With Paul Wall For First Chopped-And-Screwed Rock LP"
- Josh Turner - Your Man (MCA Nashville)
- The Vacancies - A Beat Missing or a Silence Added (Blackheart)
- Kenny Vance and the Planotones - Lovers Island (Varèse)
- Dwight Yoakam - Live From Austin TX (New West)
- Various artists - Dawning of a New Era (Trojan)
- Various artists - Gilles Peterson Presents BBC Sessions (RPM)
- Various artists - I Like It, Vol. 2 (Compost)
- Various artists - La Guitara: Gender Bending Strings (Vanguard)
- Various artists - Latin Grammy Nominees 2005 (Univision)
- Various artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 20 (UTV)
- Various artists - Old School House Party (Thump)
- Various artists - "According to Jim" soundtrack (Hollywood)
- Various artists - "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack (Verve)
- Various artists - "Chicken Little" soundtrack (Walt Disney)
- Boy Sets Fire - Before the Eulogy (with bonus tracks; Equal Vision)
- June Carter Cash - Church in the Wildwood and Ring of Fire: The Best of June Carter Cash (Dualtone)
- Rosanne Cash - Interiors, King's Record Shop and Seven Year Ache (Columbia/Legacy)
- A.J. Croce - Early On (Seedling)
- John Fogerty - The Long Road Home: Ultimate John Fogerty/ Creedence Collection (Fantasy)
- Grateful Dead - Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings (three CDs; live; Rhino)
- Isaac Hayes - Ultimate Isaac Hayes: Can You Dig It? (Stax)
- Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing - The 25th Anniversary Series (Roadrunner)
- Senses Fail - Let It Enfold You (enhanced; Vagrant)
- Dusty Springfield - Live at the Royal Albert Hall (Eagle Rock)
- Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends (Victory)
- Richard & Linda Thompson - Pour Down Like Silver (with bonus tracks; Fontana)
- Various artists - Coming Home for Christmas (RCA)
- Various artists - The Complete Verve Remixed Deluxe Box (Verve)
- Various artists - Trampoline Records Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (Rounder)
- George Benson - "Live at Montreux 1986" (Eagle Vision)
- Beta Band - "The Best of Beta Band Film" (Astralwerks)
- DMX - Cypress Hill's 6th Annual Smoke Out Presents: DMX (Eagle Vision)
- Duran Duran - "Live From London - Deluxe Edition" (with CD; Universal)
- Grateful Dead - "Dead Ahead: Live From Radio City" (Monterey)
- John Hiatt - "Live From Austin TX" (New West)
- Eric Johnson - "Live From Austin TX" (New West)
- R. Kelly - "Trapped in the Closet - Chapters 1-12" (Jive)
Read: "R. Kelly To Release Chapters 1-12 Of 'Trapped' On DVD — And It's Not Over Yet"
- Killing Joke - "XXV Gathering: The Band That Preys Together Stays Together" (Red Distribution)
- John Lennon and Yoko Ono - "The Dick Cavett Show: John & Yoko Collection" (Shout! Factory)
- Yngwie Johann Malmsteen - "Concerto Suite for Guitar and Orchestra in E Flat Minor With the New Japan Philharmonic" (Eagle Vision)
- Youssou N'Dour - "Live at Montreux 1989" (Eagle Vision)
- Lou Reed - "Live at Montreux 2000" (Eagle Vision)
- Testament - "Live in London" (Red Distribution)
- Texas Tornados - "Live From Austin TX" (New West)
- Dwight Yoakam - "Live From Austin TX" (New West)
- Various artists - "Live 8 at Eden: Africa Calling" (Rhino)
- Limp Bizkit - Greatest Hitz (Geffen)
- The Mars Volta - Scab Dates (Universal)
- Young Buck - T.I.P. (Mass Appeal)
- Mariah Carey - The Emancipation of Mimi: Platinum Edition (Island)
Read: "Mariah Carey Emancipating Mimi Again, With Bonus Tracks"
- Green Day - Bullet in a Bible (with DVD; Reprise)
- Madonna - Confessions on a Dance Floor (Warner Bros.)
Read: "Madonna Making 'Spontaneous' And 'Unapologetic' Dance Music"
- John Mayer Trio - Try! John Mayer Trio Live in Concert (Columbia)
Read: "John Mayer Trio Geek Out With Live Album, Rolling Stones Jokes"
- Britney Spears - Britney Spears Remixed (Jive)
- System of a Down - Hypnotize (DualDisc same day; Columbia)
Read: "System Of A Down Album Preview: Hypnotize Even Wilder Than Mezmerize"