London's Bloc Party are finding some truth in that old adage about the third time being the charm.
The first video they shot for the song "Banquet," off their Silent Alarm, was a gritty black-and-white clip that ... well ... made them want to shoot another video. Then they made a concept video in which a giant female hand manipulates the bandmembers. Naturally, they started itching for a do-over.
But now their third try — a polished black-and-white clip with sporadic shots of the bandmembers standing in colored polka dots — has met with everyone's approval and is gathering steam at video outlets.
So what about this song has triggered the band's nit-picking tendencies? The fact that it's about the gloomier side of love.
"It's just a song about being into someone, really — the obsession and the dark side of that emotion. We wanted a video that would explore that without doing it in a cheesy way," frontman Kele Okereke said.
Anyone who's familiar with the band's music knows that the least cheesy thing they do is perform. It is, however, one of the most labor-intensive.
"[Performance-based videos are] inevitably the most exhausting to make for a band because you're performing all day in front of hot lights," Okereke began.
"And hot chicks," drummer Matt Tong finished. "I'm sorry, I can't help it. But it was really arduous because we'd just performed in Paris the night before. We woke up in Paris at 6 o'clock that morning to leave for London to make that video. I think we went nuts that day, actually."
Bloc Party will play the Coachella festival at the end of the month before heading out on a U.S. summer tour.
Bloc Party tour dates, according to their publicist:
- 4/30 - Indio, CA @ Coachella
- 5/24 - Denver, CO @ Gothic Theatre
- 5/25 - Salt Lake City, UT @ In the Venue
- 5/27 - Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom
- 5/28 - George, WA @ Sasquatch
- 6/1 - San Francisco, CA @ Fillmore
- 6/9 - Dallas, TX @ Gypsy Ballroom
- 6/10 - New Orleans, LA @ One-Eyed Jacks
- 6/11 - Atlanta, GA @ Music Midtown
- 6/14 - New York, NY @ Webster Hall
- 6/15 - New York, NY @ Webster Hall
- 6/16 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 6/18 - Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero