2Pac, Cypress Hill, Rage Against the Machine, Public Enemy, Bell Biv DeVoe and other artists who dominated the airwaves in the late 1980s and early 1990s will add the musical accompaniment to "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas."
As was the case with the last edition of the popular video-game series, the music will be available independent of the game, this time as both a double album and an eight-disc box set.
To complement the game's setting in the era when films like "Boyz N the Hood," "Juice" and "Colors" were at the forefront of pop culture, gangsta rap weighs heavily on the soundtrack, but other genres play their part, too. James Brown's "The Payback" and Rick James' "Cold Blooded" embody funk, while Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name" and Faith No More's "Midlife Crisis" take care of the hard-rock set. Country (Willie Nelson), classic rock (Heart, Eddie Money) and reggae (the Maytals) are also represented.
AFI's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like a Hole," recorded exclusively for "San Andreas," is the only new track in the set.
In the game, whenever the main character, CJ, carjacks a ride, the music heard is determined by which station the car's radio is tuned to. Players can listen to more than 150 tracks on eight fictitious, genre-specific stations. Besides the 23 music tracks, the double album also features a DVD component that tells CJ's back story and serves as a prologue to the story that unfolds in the game (see " 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas' — Beware Of Hostile Hippies, Hare Krishna Gangs").
Both releases are due November 23, nearly a month after the game hits stores on October 26.
The seven CDs that comprised the box set for the last installment in the GTA series, 2002's "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City," which was set in the '80s, were also released independently.
Track list for the "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" double album:
- "The Theme From San Andreas"
- Rage Against the Machine - "Killing in the Name"
- 2Pac - "I Don't Give a F---"
- James Brown - "The Payback"
- Ronnie Hudson - "West Coast Poplock"
- Guy - "Groove Me"
- Eddie Money - "Two Tickets to Paradise"
- Cypress Hill - "How I Could Just Kill a Man"
- The Maytals - "Pressure Drop"
- Slick Rick - "Children's Story"
- Rick James - "Cold Blooded"
- Raze - "Break 4 Love"
- Ohio Players - "Funky Worm"
- Heart - "Barracuda"
- Compton's Most Wanted - "Hood Took Me Under"
- Lyn Collins - "Think (About It)"
- Public Enemy - "Rebel Without a Pause"
- Faith No More - "Midlife Crisis"
- Bell Biv DeVoe - "Poison"
- Max Romeo & the Upsetters - "Chase the Devil"
- Eric B. & Rakim - "I Know You Got Soul"
- Willie Nelson - "Crazy"
- AFI - "Head Like a Hole"