Mystery will be in the Air when the French electronic-pop duo launches a 16-date North American tour on June 14.
"It will be sort of a mysterious darkness on stage," Air's Jean-Benoît Dunckel said. "We really want to have a huge volume, with a precise mix. It will be for people who like to smoke some spliffs."
Air, which includes Nicolas Godin sharing keyboard, guitar and vocal duties with Dunckel, will be backed on the tour by ex-Jellyfish singer and bassist Jason Falkner, ex-Redd Kross drummer Brian Reitzell and keyboardist James Rotundi. The duo will also play several Canadian shows as part of the tour, but those dates haven't been confirmed yet.
Reitzell, who toured with Air on their 1999 jaunt in support of their acclaimed debut, Moon Safari (1998), and recorded with the duo on their score to the 2000 film "The Virgin Suicides," also plays drums on Air's second studio album, 10,000 Hz. Legend, which is due May 29. He joins Falkner, Beck, who provides vocals on two songs, and Sugar and Yumiko of Buffalo Daughter as contributors on the album, which Dunckel called "simple, sober and very well-built" (see "Air Find Power In Messing With Beauty On Second Album").
"When we play some instruments or keyboards, we feel it," Dunckel said. "It's like acting or something. [We take on] the personality of the song when we record. We look normal, but when we are recording or when we do some music, we are completely under a certain kind of charm, like a spell."
Opening for Air on the tour will be fellow Parisian Sebastien Tellier, an innovative singer-songwriter whose debut, L'Incroyable Verité, will be released June 12 in the United States on Record Makers, Air's record label.
Air U.S. tour dates, according to their publicist:
- 6/14 - Dallas, TX @ Deep Ellum Live
- 6/15 - Austin, TX @ La Zona Rosa
- 6/18 - Atlanta, GA @ Earthlink Live Center Stage
- 6/19 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 6/21 - New York, NY @ Hammerstein Ballroom
- 6/23 - Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
- 6/24 - Boston, MA @ Avalon
- 6/28 - Pontiac, MI @ Clutch Cargo
- 6/30 - Chicago, IL @ Vic Theatre
- 7/1 - Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
- 7/3 - Denver, CO @ Ogden
- 7/7 - Seattle, WA @ Showbox
- 7/9 - San Francisco, CA @ The Warfield
- 7/10 - San Francisco, CA @ The Warfield
- 7/11 - Los Angeles, CA @ Mayan Theatre
- 7/12 - Los Angeles, CA @ Mayan Theatre