Manchester, England, trio Doves are set to embark on their first North American tour, which will hit 13 cities beginning February 24 in Philadelphia.
Doves released their debut album, Lost Souls, in the U.S. last October, following an April 2000 U.K. release. Critically acclaimed at home, it picked up a nomination for the prestigious Mercury Music Prize for its lush, somber melodies and slow waves of guitars and electronic effects on tracks such as "Break Me Gently", as well as more lighthearted retro-rock fare, as on the single "Catch The Sun".
Originally known as Sub Sub, the group was founded almost a decade ago as a dance act, inspired by the heyday of legendary Manchester superclub the Hacienda. Following a fire that burned down their studio and took the material for their sophomore release along with it, the trio singer/bassist Jimi Goodwin, drummer Andy Williams and guitarist Jez Williams emerged as Doves, with a new rock sound focused on the immediacy of live instruments as opposed to their previous immersion in technology.
Doves didn't take home the Mercury Prize last year, but their friend and frequent collaborator Damon Gough, aka Badly Drawn Boy, did, drawing even more attention to a new, more insightful aesthetic in English rock, eschewing the trappings of grandiose acts such as Oasis and Stereophonics.
The band is currently working on material for its sophomore release, of which Goodwin said recently, "It's quite upbeat so far. It's definitely different from Lost Souls already, and they're only rough demos."
Doves tour dates:
- 2/24 - Philadelphia, PA @ Upstage
- 2/25 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 2/26 - Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club
- 2/27 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
- 3/02 - Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
- 3/01 - Toronto, ON @ Lee's Palace
- 3/03 - Chicago, IL @ Double Door
- 3/04 - Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry
- 3/06 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey Theatre
- 3/07 - San Francisco, CA @ Bimbos
- 3/09 - Seattle, WA @ Crocodile Café
- 3/10 - Vancouver, BC @ Richards On Richards
- 3/11 - Portland, OR @ Ohm