Even though Pearl Jam won't release its new record, "Binaural," for a few more weeks, the band has already scored a hit with the first single, "Nothing As It Seems," which has cracked the Top 10 of alternative, rock, and active rock radio, according to "R&R."
The haunting words and music for "Nothing As It Seems" were written by Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament, who talked with MTV News' John Norris about how he brought a demo version of the song to the "Binaural" album sessions last fall.
"It was just a little ditty on a demo that I kind of played some hand drums on, and had this little song," Ament offered. "Actually, I spent quite a bit of time with the lyrics, and I think Stone initially [heard it and] said, 'Let's try that one.'
"There were little sections of the song [where] I definitely heard Mike [McCready] doing his thing, so I kinda said, 'Hey, man, you need to write
a theme for these little sections.' It's pretty cool to see a little song that I wrote being played by everyone.
"I mean, I can almost kind of stand back and just watch this great band play a song," he added, "and take it to a completely different level. Mike and Ed [Vedder], they have that ability where they can really raise the level of anything that they play." [RealVideo]
Prior to the launch of a European tour on May 23, Pearl Jam plans to play a pair of North American warm-up shows, slated for May 10 in Bellingham, Washington, and on May 11 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
The band has also lined up almost all of the venues for its upcoming North American tour, an outing starting in Virginia Beach, Virginia on August 3 with Sonic Youth opening (see "Pearl Jam Lands Sonic Youth, Supergrass For Tour").
The venues and dates for Pearl Jam's North
- 8/3 - Virginia Beach, VA @ GTE Virginia Beach Amphitheatre
- 8/4 - Charlotte, NC @ Blockbuster Pavilion
- 8/6 - Greensboro, NC @ Coliseum
- 8/7 - Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
- 8/9 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Mars Music Amphitheatre
- 8/12 - Tampa, FL @ Ice Palace
- 8/14 - New Orleans, LA @ Arena
- 8/15 - Memphis, TN @ The Pyramid
- 8/17 - Nashville, TN @ AmSouth Amphitheatre
- 8/18 - Indianapolis, IN @ Deer Creek Music Center
- 8/20 - Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend Music Center
- 8/21 - Columbus, OH @ Polaris Amphitheater
- 8/23 - New York, NY @ Jones Beach
- 8/24 - New York, NY @ Jones Beach
- 8/27 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Saratoga Performing Arts
- 8/29 - Boston, MA @ Tweeter Center
- 9/1 - Philadelphia, PA @ E-Center
- 9/4 - Columbia, MD @ Merriweather Post Pavilion
- 9/5 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Post-Gazette Pavilion
- 10/4 - Montreal, QC @ Molson Center
- 10/5 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
- 10/7 - Detroit, MI @ The Palace
- 10/8 - Milwaukee, WI @ Alpine Valley
- 10/9 - Chicago, IL @ Allstate Arena
- 10/11 - St. Louis, MO @ Riverport Amphitheatre
- 10/12 - Kansas City, MO @ Sandstone Amphitheatre
- 10/14 - Houston, TX @ Woodlands Pavilion
- 10/17 - Dallas, TX @ Starplex Amphitheatre
- 10/18 - Lubbock, TX @ United Spirit Arena
- 10/20 - Albuquerque, NM @ Mesa del Sol
- 10/21 - Phoenix, AZ @ Desert Sky Pavilion
- 10/22 - Las Vegas, NV @ MGM
- 10/25 - San Diego, CA @ San Diego Sports Arena
- 10/28 - San Bernadino, CA @ Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion
- 10/31 - San Francisco, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre
- 11/3 - Boise, ID @ Idaho Center
- 11/5 - Seattle, WA @ TBA