Sugar Ray's Mark McGrath, System Of A Down's Serj Tankian, Incubus' Brandon Boyd and a slew of hard rockers gathered in a Los Angeles photo studio on Wednesday to pose for album art and publicity shots for the upcoming tribute album "Strait Up."
The work was created in honor of the late Snot frontman Lynn Strait, who died in a six-car accident in 1998, and features music originally written for what was to have been Snot's second album. Strait passed on before work on the album could begin, but a gang of Strait's friends (including Korn's Jonathan Davis, Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst, Slipknot's Corey Taylor, and Sevendust's Lajon Witherspoon) have stepped in to lend lyrics and vocals to the music (see "Korn's Davis, Limp's Durst, Others Line Up Studio Time For Snot Tribute").
During the photo shoot, the artists gathered shared memories of Strait, and McGrath and former Snot guitarist turned Soulfly member Mikey Doling
(who helped to compile "Strait Up" along with fellow Snot member John "Tumor" Fahnestock) actually shared the tattoos they got in honor of the late singer.
"Whether he knew you or not, when you met him you felt his presence," said Tankian, who was also joined by Soulfly's Max Cavalera, Coal Chamber's Dez Fafara, and others at the shoot. "You felt his presence in your soul, in your surroundings. You felt his energy. He was very, very real, unlike most people in our industry." [RealVideo]
The "Strait Up" tribute is slated to hit stores on November 7, and when it arrives, here's what you'll find (the sequence of the tracks has yet to be determined):
- Ozzy Osbourne - interlude
- Sugar Ray's Mark McGrath featuring Whitfield Crane - "Reaching Out"
- Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst - "Forever"
- Korn's Jonathan Davis - "Take It Back"
- Soulfly's Max Cavalera - "Catch A Spirit"
- System Of A Down's Serj Tankian - "Starlit Eyes"
- Sevendust's Lajon Witherspoon - "Angel's Son"
- Coal Chamber's Dez Fafara - "Funeral Flights"
- (hed) pe's M.C.U.D. - "I Know Where You're At"
- RKL's Jason Sears - "Until Next Time"
- Incubus' Brandon Boyd - "Divided"
- Slipknot's Corey Taylor - "Requiem"