Drake said it was "wack as f--k," but Maino said he respected it. Almost everyone has had something to say about Macklemore's infamous post-Grammy text to Kendrick Lamar after he "robbed" the good kid, m.A.A.d city MC of Best Rap Album -- except K.Dot.
In a cover story with Billboard, the TDE rapper finally addressed the apology.
"That text surprised me, but Macklemore is a genuine dude," Lamar said, diplomatically. "However it panned out, I wish him much success. He touched people's souls, and no one can take that away. Really, the whole Grammy moment was incredible. Not everyone gets that shot."
Not quite the response one might expect from the man who lobbed lyrical grenades at all of his rap peers on last year's most-talked-about battle cry track, "Control."
For those living under a rock or somehow missed the copious amounts of hilarious memes, the "Thrift Shop" rapper's apology basically acknowledged that he felt Kendrick should have won and that it felt weird to sweep every hip-hop award that night.
"You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have," Macklemore wrote. "It's weird and sucks that I robbed you. I was gonna say that during the speech. Then the music started playing during my speech, and I froze. Anyway, you know what it is. Congrats on this year and your music. Appreciate you as an artist and as a friend. Much love."
For his part, though, Kendrick has moved on from his Grammy snub. The "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" rapper has been busy in TDE's House of Pain studio working on the follow-up to his groundbreaking debut, which, according to Anthony "Top Dawg" Tiffith, has a tentative release for this coming September.
"Our thing is not being confined to whatever everybody else is doing or what's supposed to be the 'it' thing," Kendrick said. "We building our brand just by doing what we wanna do. The sound we that like and love...the people followed that."
- POV VMA SUBMISSION FORM09/01/2023
- MTV Video Music Awards Will Return to New Jersey for September Show05/23/2023
- Scream’s Ghostface Accepts Best Movie And Best Fight: ‘Movies Don’t Create Psychos’‘It’s about time someone truly appreciated my work’05/07/2023
- Anthony Ramos And Dominique Fishback Ramp Up The Tension In New 'Transformers' Clip'Transformers: Rise of the Beasts' hits theaters on June 905/07/2023
- Joseph Quinn Acknowledges The Power Of 'Stranger Things' Fans'I’m a little bit scared of you,' he said at the MTV Movie & TV Awards, 'but ultimately, I am utterly, utterly indebted to you'05/07/2023
- Ariel And Prince Eric's Romantic Night Ends With A Splash In New 'Little Mermaid' ClipHeart eyes all around05/07/2023