Lindsay Lohan received some slightly good news today: Her original felony charge stemming from the alleged theft of a $2,500 necklace back in January was reduced to a misdemeanor. The problem-plagued actress will still have to stand trial, as Judge Stephanie Sautner ruled that the theft was in violation of Lohan's probation.

According to TMZ, the reduced charge indicates that Lohan might not face jail time; the punishment will be determined after the verdict in the trial.

The Associated Press reports that, in reducing the charge, Sautner said she was giving the actress "an opportunity." The misdemeanor still has a potential penalty of a year in jail.

Late last month, Lohan turned down a plea deal offered by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office after being told by Judge Keith Schwartz that had she accepted the DA's deal — reportedly six months of jail time — she would have been found in violation of her probation and could serve more time.

Lohan allegedly lifted a $2,500 necklace from a Venice, California, jewelry store on January 22. The owner reported the theft to the Los Angeles Police Department, which later investigated the accusation and presented evidence to the District Attorney's office. Up until Judge Sautner's ruling, the actress had been officially charged with one count of felony grand theft and faced up to three years in prison.

Lohan's trial date was set for June 3 and a pretrial date for May 11. Lohan must be present at both hearings.