"In Egypt getting ready to go on stage and suddenly there was a surge of power and an electrical fire started under my feet! Wtf?!" she tweeted on Monday. "Naturally, my emergency instincts kicked in and I put out the flames w/a towel. Lol (yet true)," she tweeted.
Carey seemed to have a pretty good sense of humor about the incident. "The funny thing about this is an ol'skool radio station in the other room started playing 'aww freak out!' @ that exact moment!"
She then tweeted her friend, Jasmine Dotiwala, saying, "@jasminedotiwala. Appalled U didn't tweet to see if I'm ok after the fire incident in Egypt! (Said in my diva theatrical accent: )"
Carey also posted a photo of the surge protector that caught fire. "These r the charred remains of my fire on the Nile," she wrote.
This actually isn't the first time Carey has acted as her own personal firefighter. Hubby Nick Cannon revealed that on one Valentine's Day, Carey saved the holiday from turning into a burning inferno. "So you walk into this room and all you see is red and lights and candles. We were opening gifts and I smell smoke ... the whole room was on fire," he recalled to MTV News. "And I screamed like a little bitch. Mariah, being a hero that she is, put the fire out. She's my hero. She's my Valentine hero, so hopefully this year we won't set nothing on fire."