Just a day after postponing a number of dates on her European tour, Whitney Houston denied rumors that the shows were called off because of a drug relapse.
"I'm feeling great ... I'm ready to move on and continue my world tour," the 46-year-old singer, who has acknowledged a struggle with drug addiction in the past, told People magazine.
On Wednesday, Houston postponed a handful of dates because she was reportedly suffering from an upper respiratory infection and had been advised by her doctors not to perform. She was scheduled to perform on Thursday and Friday in Manchester, England, at the Manchester Evening News Arena, but has pushed back those shows until June 16 and 17. She rescheduled this Sunday's concert in Glasgow, Scotland, for May 1, and had previously called off Tuesday's show in Paris.
The singer was hospitalized for what was described as an upper respiratory infection earlier this week, which led to the scotching of the first four shows on her European tour and tabloid speculation that she had slipped back into drug-taking.
She called such reports "ridiculous," adding, "at this point, I just don't respond. I don't even read it." She explained that she checked into a hospital in Paris on doctor's orders, blaming the illness on her seasonal allergies. "My health is terrific," she said. "But this is a time when I get a lot of allergies."
The tour is now slated to pick up again on Tuesday, April 13, in Birmingham, England, and go through June. "I'm doing what I love to do, which is singing," Houston said. "The best part is seeing all of my fans around the world." In February, after some fans and critics said Houston was out of breath and had trouble hitting notes during her concerts in Australia, her rep denied that she was having health trouble. "Whitney is in great health and having a terrific time on her tour and with her fans," the publicist told E! Online.
Houston staged a comeback late last summer and released her first album of new material in seven years, I Look to You.