Were they tortured, or weren't they? That's the question fans of "I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" were asking Monday (June 8) after a drama-filled weekend surrounding "Hills" stars Spencer Pratt and
Following allegations that the couple were punished for leaving the show by being kept in a dark room for a day and a night with only water, rice and beans — which resulted in Montag's hospitalization for a gastric ulcer — producers hit back, refuting the reports.
In a statement, series producer ITV Studios said that no harm was done to the couple, who have quickly become the go-to villains on the show featuring a cast of C-list celebs, including former "American Idol" contestant Sanjaya Malakar, "La Bamba" actor Lou Diamond Phillips and former supermodel Janice Dickinson.
"ITV has been producing this format around the world for many years, and the health of the celebrity participants are of the utmost importance," the statement explained. "A medic and a doctor are present at the location at all times for all participants. All allegations of the celebrities being deprived of food and water are completely untrue."
On Monday, a production source on the set in the Costa Rican jungle, who requested anonymity, told MTV News that the couple entered the "Lost Chamber" — the creepy, crawly site of one of the challenges last week — at around 4:30 p.m. local time on Thursday and exited the next morning at 6:30 a.m. "Everything was cleaned out [from the challenge], and there were two beds, bedrolls, they were given food and water, and they had a cooking apparatus and some kind of porta-potty," said the source. "They slept, and there was an incident where Spencer tried to kill a spider and hurt himself, but a medic was dispatched and there was nothing wrong."
News about Montag's condition first broke over the weekend, when sister-in-law Stephanie Pratt Tweeted, "Heidi was rushed to the hospital and has an IV in her arm after being locked in a dark room for 3 days w no food or water."
The source strongly refuted Stephanie's claim, saying the couple were only in the chamber for 14 hours.
TMZ reported Monday (June 8) that the couple were desperate to leave the Costa Rican jungle on Sunday but couldn't get medical clearance from a doctor to do so. The site also said the show's producers are angry about the allegations and, according to an unnamed source, have tape to prove that medics were on site the entire time the sequence was being filmed and that the two were in the room for eight to 10 hours at most and that they had food and water.
The source told MTV News that Speidi mostly slept while they were in the room, when they weren't praying, and that cameras were rolling on them the whole time. "Nothing here is scripted," the source said. "To be honest, they had a ceiling and four walls, while the rest of the cast is outside and there have been torrential downpours every day. There were interviews completed [during the stay], and they were in good spirits when they came out. Nobody was harmed, no contestant was held against their will, there were no Guantánamo Bay conditions, nobody was tortured or water-boarded."
The truth, perhaps, will be revealed Monday night, when the latest episode, a two-hour special, airs. An unnamed source told E! Online that Pratt is considering suing NBC over the alleged incident, while NBC is contemplating a countersuit if the pair leave the show and don't honor their contract. Spokespeople for Montag and Pratt could not be reached for comment at press time.
Miss any of "I'm a Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" this week? Then tune in to MTV on Sunday at 12 p.m. ET for a marathon of the week's episodes.