Earlier this month, Wayne sued to halt the release of "Tha Carter," a Sundance documentary in which he's seen repeatedly drinking syrup. But on Tuesday, a California Superior Court judge rejected Wayne's request for a preliminary injunction, clearing the way for production company QD3 Entertainment to begin seeking distribution of the film, according to Variety.
"We're very pleased with the court's decision," QD3's Quincy Jones III told Variety. "We made a great film, which was incredibly well received at Sundance and showcases Lil Wayne's extraordinary talent."
Through his representatives, Wayne declined MTV News' request for comment.
The rapper's lawsuit maintained that QD3 had promised to give Wayne final-cut approval over the film. After viewing the documentary late last year, Wayne's management requested that some objectionable content be removed. Following a viewing of footage in January, Wayne's reps again requested certain scenes be cut.
Those cuts were not made, and "Tha Carter" went on to screen at the Sundance Film Festival, where it was enthusiastically received. Wayne's lawsuit contended that the documentary presented a "scandalous portrayal" of the rapper without his approval. He sued for breach of contract, fraud and invasion of privacy.
Throughout the documentary, Wayne is seen guzzling cough syrup mixed with soda and once opens a Louis Vuitton suitcase to reveal an enormous bottle of the purple substance. In recent years, cough syrup has been linked to the deaths of several members of the hip-hop community, including Pimp C, Houston MC Big Moe and legendary DJ Screw.
Wayne himself admitted to MTV News last year that friends and family have urged him to quit using cough syrup.
"I'm going through that same sh-- with my friends, with my mom," Wayne said. "Everybody wants me to stop all this and all that. It ain't that easy."