The search for the Greatest Movie Badass of All Time is on! MTV News has asked accomplished filmmakers, actors and you, the audience, to vote for your favorites. Now we've tabulated the results and found our 10 finalists for the top spot. Who will reign supreme as the Greatest Badass of All Time? Find out on February 6 at 7:15 p.m. when MTV announces the winner live at New York's Comic-Con and right here at MTV.com.
Until then, we're profiling the 10 contenders for the Greatest Badass mantle every day, in alphabetical order. Check out our first contenders: "Star Wars" bounty hunter Boba Fett, "Alien" astronaut Ellen Ripley, vigilante cop Dirty Harry, "Die Hard" detective John McClane, Vietnam War vet John Rambo, "Star Trek" tyrant Khan and post-apocalyptic nomad Mad Max. Keep checking back to see if your favorite made the list!
Diablo Cody is the Academy Award-winning writer of
10. Carrie in "Carrie" (
|1. Dirty Harry|
|2. Ellen Ripley|
|3. John McClane|
|4. Mad Max|
|6. Sarah Connor|
|7. Pike Bishop|
|9. Boba Fett|
9. Captain Felix Maxwell in "Mannequin" (G.W. Bailey): The meanest cop ever, and rightfully so! If you caught Andrew McCarthy humping a store display, wouldn't you sic your dog on him too? Captain Maxwell was just doing his civic duty.
8. Walt Kowalski in
7. Bandit in "Smokey and the Bandit" (Burt Reynolds): Burt was so cool that he didn't just flout authority, he did it with a smirk and a cackle. No wonder Sally Field fell into his lap. And how righteous was that Trans Am?
6. Lieutenant Ellen Ripley in the "Alien" series (
5. The Bride in
4. John Bender in
3. Randy "The Ram" Robinson in
2. Steve Wiebe from "King of Kong": Steve is the only real-life badass on my list. In Seth Gordon's insane documentary, Steve — the Donkey Kong World Champion — faces down a motley crew of arcade villains to claim his rightful title. Plus, he's a teacher!
1. Sarah Connor in
For breaking news, celebrity columns, humor and more — updated around the clock — visit MTVMoviesBlog.com.