How "High" Will It Go?: There's no doubt that the "High School Musical 2" soundtrack is at the top of the class this week, with its January 2006 predecessor having been the best-selling album of the year and becoming the first TV soundtrack to be #1 on the Billboard album charts since the one for "Miami Vice." A few of the tracks from the "High School Musical 2" film soundtrack have slipped out already — "What Time Is It," "Bet on It," "You Are the Music in Me" and "Fabolous." But the best title of all comes in the form of a bonus track tacked onto the end of the release: "Humuhumunukunukuapua'a." We'd love to see Zac Efron say that three times fast — wink, wink.
Back in Blaqk: Davey Havok and Jade Puget have a life beyond AFI, you know — after all, they've got another project, Blaqk Audio. The group described as "two boys in love with synthesizers and software" is finally delivering its Cexcells debut after hammering away at it for more than four years. Recorded by the band and produced by Depeche Mode/ Placebo collaborator Dave Bascombe, the set features a bunch of tracks in the vein of DM, including "Stiff Kittens" and "Where Would You Like Them Left?"
The Return of the Return of the Rentals: One band that has made multiple debuts during its existence is the Rentals. Led by ex-Weezer bassist Matt Sharp, the group first stepped out with 1995's humorously named Return of the Rentals — only to take four years to unveil its return, 1999's Seven More Minutes, with a different lineup. Seven years later, Sharp was back with a new squad, and now we have its Last Little Life E.P. as proof. The four-track set features a reworked version of "Sweetness and Tenderness" from Return and falls amid an extensive club tour.
Dave, Letter Man: If you're a Dave Matthews Band fan, you probably have enough live recordings by the act to fill a closet or three, but Matthews is mixing up the concert-disc procedure a bit by serving up a recording he made with longtime pal Tim Reynolds. The self-explanatory Live at Radio City, recorded in April during a three-city tour, is being made available as a two-disc CD or DVD set, with the latter including a photo montage and other bonus ephemera.
Junior Senior's Graduation: Dance-floor fiends have a new reason to tear it up in the clubs: The Danish duo are finally bringing their second album Stateside. Released in some territories in 2005, Hey Hey My My Yo Yo is packed with tubular guest appearances by B-52's members Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson, as well as Le Tigre, Spooner Oldham and Motown legends the Velvettes. Fun-filled tracks include "Can I Get Get Get" — which you might have heard on TV's "Ugly Betty" — and "Itch U Can't Skratch."
Song Title of the Week:
"Hell Toupée" from Turbonegro's Retox
Album Cover of the Week:
When all else fails, there are always Turbonegro, the tongue-in-cheek Norwegian "death-punk" gang that packs each disc with as many punches as laughs. The group's eighth release and first through its own Scandinavian Leather imprint features "We're Gonna Drop the Atom Bomb," "Welcome to the Garbage Dump" and "What Is Rock?!," while the special edition comes with a pair of digipak bonuses and the iTunes version came with a different extra, "Levelled Karma." Keep an eye out September 11 for re-releases of the band's full catalog, including the unforgettable Ass Cobra.
Nina Nastasia & Jim White's You Follow Me:
The Dirty Three drummer helps the singer/songwriter make a swift comeback following her 2006 solo effort, On Leaving, with this collaborative affair. White, who often plays drums for Nastasia in concert, backs her up as she weaves first-person tales about pursuing others ("I Come After You") and being pursued ("I've Been Out Walking"). The effort, issued in the U.K. earlier this year, was recorded with Steve Albini at his famed Electrical Audio studio in Chicago.
Former Depeche Mode member Alan Wilder called on English singer Carla Trevaskis and blues musician Joe Richardson for the fifth album by his avant-garde electronic project. Wilder said in a press release that the results of recording with Trevaskis and Richardson "set me thinking about the idea of the sub-humans — disregarded life forms, recyclable, worthless human beings. Moral degenerates to the powers that be, created by world tragedy." The deluxe version features a DVD with all the band's videos to date.
· 12 Stones - Anthem for the Underdog (Wind-Up)
· Ali & Gipp - Kinfolk (Universal)
· Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained (Locomotive)
· Arks - The International (Highwheel)
· As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep (Tooth & Nail)
· Bang Lime - Best Friends in Love (Last Gang)
· Blaqk Audio - Cexcells (Interscope)
Read: "AFI Members Have Another Fire Inside: Side Project Blaqk Audio"
· Luke Bryan - I'll Stay Me (Capitol)
· Eric Copeland - Hermaphrodite (Paw Tracks)
· D.I. - On the Western Front (Suburban Noize)
· Dollar Store - Money Music (Bloodshot)
· Drop Dead, Gorgeous - Worse Than a Fairy Tale (Suretone)
· Eisley - Combinations (Reprise)
· Floratone - Floratone (Blue Note)
· Erik Friedlander - Block Ice & Propane (SkipStone)
· Gentlemens Pistols - Gentlemen's Pistols (Candelight)
· Gliss - Love the Virgins (Cordless)
· Guards of Metropolis - Alligator (Slackertone)
· Halfway to Hazard - Halfway to Hazard (Mercury Nashville)
· Hemlock - Bleed the Dream (Candlelight)
· Thelma Houston - A Woman's Touch (Shout! Factory)
· Sean Jones - Kaleidoscope (Mack)
· Junior Senior - Hey Hey My My Yo Yo (with bonus DVD; Rykodisc)
· Adam Levy - Washing Day (Lost Wax)
· Mae - Singularity (Capitol)
· Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City (RCA)
· Lori McKenna - Unglamorous (Warner Bros.)
· Ian Moore - To Be Loved (Justice)
· Najee - Rising Sun (Heads Up)
· Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me (Fatcat)
· Matt Nathanson - Some Mad Hope (Vanguard)
· Danbert Nobacon and the Fine Valley Cosmonauts - The Library Book of the World (Bloodshot)
· Project Jenny, Project Jan - Xoxoxoxoxo (Might)
· Recoil - Subhuman (deluxe edition comes with DVD; Mute)
· The Rentals - Last Little Life (enhanced EP; Boompa)
· Rowan Schuitevoerder - Rowan Schuitevoerder (Conscious)
· The Seldom Scene - Scenechronized (Sugar Hill)
· Linda Thompson - Versatile Heart (Rounder)
· George Thorogood & the Destroyers - Bad to the Bone: 25th Anniversary Edition (Capitol)
· Turbonegro - Retox (Cooking Vinyl)
· Paul van Dyk - In Between (Mute)
· The Wildbirds - Golden Daze (Republic)
· You Say Party! We Say Die! - Lose All Time (Paper Bag)
· Various artists - "High School Musical 2" soundtrack (Disney)
Read: " 'High School Musical' Stars Dish On Sequel's Showstoppers, Love Triangles"
Notable Reissues and Archival Material:
· Boot Camp Clik - Casualties of War (Duck Down)
· Stewart Copeland - The Stewart Copeland Anthology (Koch)
· Fats Domino - Greatest Hits: Walking to New Orleans (Capitol)
· Dean Martin - Forever Cool (deluxe edition comes with DVD; Capitol/EMI)
· Master P - Featuring ... Master P (Capitol/ Priority/ No Limit)
· Various artists - Get Ready, Here Comes ... the '70s (three-CD box set; Shout! Factory)
· The Bangles - "Return to Bangleonia" (Shout! Factory)
· Sam Bush - "On the Road" (Sugar Hill)
· Kiss - "Kissology: The Ultimate Kiss Collection Vol. 2 1978-1991" (four-DVD box set; VH1 Classics)
· Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - "Live at Radio City" (RCA)
· Les Paul - "Chasing Sound!" (Koch Vision)
· Tribuzy - "Execution Live Reunion" (Locomotive)
· Y&T - "Live: One Hot Night" (two DVDs and one CD; Locomotive)
· Various artists - "Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars" (Docurama)
· Cake - B-Sides and Rarities (Upbeat)
· California Transit Authority - Full Circle (Street Sense)
· The Coral - Roots and Echoes (Columbia/ Red Ink)
· Grip Weeds - House of Vibes Revisited (Ground Up)
· Various artists - Purple Skies Remixed (Kitty-Yo)
· As I Lay Dying - An Ocean Between Us (Metal Blade)
· Cartel - Cartel (Epic)
Read: "Pop-Punks Cartel Show Off Grandma's Digs, Borrow Benz For 'Cribs' "
· Talib Kweli - Ear Drum (Reprise)
Read: "Stung By Criticism Of Last LP, Talib Kweli Promises No Sting Samples This Time"
· New Pornographers - Challengers (Matador)
· Swizz Beatz - One Man Band Man (enhanced; Motown)
Read: "Beyonce Hitmaker Swizz Beatz Defies Radio Rules With Two-Minute Single"
· Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass (Def Jux)
· Ice Water - Raekwon Presents: Ice Water - Polluted Water (Babygrande)
· Yung Joc - Hustlenomics (Bad Boy)
· Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty (Ferret)
· Megadeth - That One Night: Live in Buenos Aires (two CDs; Image)
· Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (limited-edition three-CD reissue; Capitol)