Duffing Up: You may have caught a little lady named Hilary Duff on "TRL" recently — that's because of her Dignity, which drops this week. The set is powered by the "TRL"-topping first single, "With Love" — if you took advantage of iTunes' preorder, you already got the video for it. Going the extra mile, the singer has loaded up the deluxe edition with a Duff-at-home retrospective video, featured on an accompanying DVD, as well as exclusive art.
She'll B Back: Beyoncé waited a spell before rolling out the deluxe edition to her latest studio effort, B'Day. Packaged with different cover art, the revised set also boasts a dozen extra tracks, including Spanish-language cuts, remixes and more. That includes the Shakira duet "Beautiful Liar" and three additional mixes of that song. Maybe fans should have held off celebrating her B'Day so soon last year.
Wall-to-Wall: Paul Wall has two tough acts to follow this week, but based on the platinum success of his The Peoples Champ two years ago, the Houston grill master is banking on his Get Money - Stay True follow-up all the same. It's a more diverse outing than you might think — partially recorded at a Texas studio frequented by Willie Nelson, the disc also features (+44) rocker Travis Barker — as Expensive Taste, along with cohort Skinhead Rob — plus Snoop, Jermaine Dupri, Rick Ross, Fergie and more. It's a custom fit.
Kings of the Times? Casual music fans might mistakenly think Kings of Leon's Because of the Times is the group's second disc, since 2004's Aha Shake Heartbreak broke them out on the strength of three singles. But Because is actually their third opus, and it features 13 songs — including a seven-minute opening cut called "Knocked Up" that sounds like a fitting theme song for the soon-to-be-released Judd Apatow movie of the same name.
Timber!: Timbaland has spent so much time sitting behind the boards, it's a wonder his legs haven't atrophied to the point that he needs a wheelchair. Proving that he can indeed rock the mic, the producer steps up with a studio LP of his own this week. The results are what you might expect — Shock Value is nothing short of a historic payback affair, with everyone from Justin Timberlake and Nelly Furtado to Fall Out Boy and the Hives to Madonna and Elton John. As the saying goes, it's all about who you know ...
The Academy Is ...' Santi and Corinne Bailey Rae's "Live in London & New York": The Academy will soon be touring with the aforementioned Paul Wall on this year's Honda Civic Tour, but before they do, they're eking out their second album, Santi. The Chicago band stretches out with bigger songs crafted to be performed at larger venues — including the first single, "Big Mess on Our Hands Tonight," "LAX to O'Hare" and "Sleeping With Giants (Lifetime)." Fellow 2006 Woodie Award nominee Rae is trying to keep her own hype going by issuing a video to accompany her self-titled album from last year. The U.K. singer/songwriter's "Live" item captures performance footage plus four promo clips, as well as a bonus CD encompassing her show at NYC's Webster Hall last fall.
Shadows Fall's Threads of Life and Poison the Well's Versions: Expect this devilish duo to duke it out for biggest metal debut of the week. Produced by Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver) and led by first single "Redemption," Shadows' set also features such inspirational titles as "Failure of the Devout," "Burning the Lives" and "Dread Uprising." While that band is on Atlantic, former roster act Poison the Well have since re-relocated to their indie sphere — Ferret, specifically — for their fourth studio album. Don't expect to hear typical metalcore on the release — the act employs everything from mandolin and slide guitar to horns and banjo.
Chevelle's Vena Sera and Static-X's Cannibal: Both hard-rocking squads were chart-topping contenders in their heyday, but are either still formidable? Chevelle will try to top the #8 Billboard albums chart debut their This Type of Thinking (Could Do Us In) made two and a half years ago with Vena Sera, which features "Antisaint," "Brainiac" and "Straight Jacket Fashion." Static-X's Start a War opened at #29 in 2005, and the industrial-metal cretins hope for more success with Cannibal, which Wayne Static produced on his own.
Various artists' "Hip Hop Life" and "Urban Spotlight": Don't overlook either of these street DVDs, hip-hop fans. Exclusive performances, battles and rare chats with Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, Jadakiss, MC Lyte and Fat Joe bulk up "Hip Hop Life," a documentary about the underground freestyle. In the other corner, Snoop Dogg, Mobb Deep, Ice Cube, E-40 and Too Short climb onto the "Urban Spotlight" disc, which is the premiere issue of the video-interview "magazine."
Anthony Hamilton's Southern Comfort and David Gray's Shine: The Best of the Early Years: Soul singer Hamilton earned his repute largely due to his 2003 debut, Comin' From Where I'm From, but the set he's dropping this week actually culls material from before that release. Recorded with three producers — Fanatic, Doug Coleman and Ced Solo — the 11-track set includes "Don't Say What You Won't Do," "Magnolia's Room" and "Never Give Up." Gray is also unearthing some early material in the form of Shine, which corrals "Birds Without Wings," "Faster, Sooner, Now" and "A Century Ends."
Song Titles of the Week: The track list to the Chariot's The Fiancee: "Back to Back," "Faced Each Other," "They Drew Their Swords," "And Shot Each Other," "Deaf Policeman," "Heard This Noise," "Then Came to Kill," "Two Dead Boys," "Forgive Me Nashville" and "Trumpet."
Various artists' "Radio On": Co-produced by iconic filmmaker Wim Wenders ("Paris, Texas," "Buena Vista Social Club"), this flick is coming back from the grave nearly 30 years after it was made. The movie features an early Sting, and the accompanying soundtrack features David Bowie, Kraftwerk, Devo and others.
The Jai-Alai Savant's Flight of the Bass Delegate: DJ Ralh Darden has some friends in the Mars Volta, and they're trying to get the punk-and-reggae-loving Chicago artist some extra attention with this disc issued through Gold Standard Laboratories, co-helmed by Volta guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez. Songs include "Scarlett Johansson Why Don't You Love Me," "White on White Crime" and "Data Massaganna."
Everybody Else's Everybody Else: Named after a Kinks B-side, the trio came about after two other acts — Boston's the Push Kings and Richmond, Virginia's Waking Hours — moved to L.A. and disbanded. Their debut was recorded with Rick Parker (Sugarcult, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club) and features 12 punk-rock slices, including "Button for Punishment," "Meat Market" and "I Gotta Run."
· A Hero From a Thousand Places - Mistakes (Novus Ordo)
· John Abercrombie - The Third Quartet (ECM)
· The Academy Is ... - Santi (Atlantic) [Buy Now]
Read: "The Academy Is ... Say New Album Sounds Nothing Like Fall Out Boy"
· The Almost - Southern Weather (Tooth & Nail/ Virgin)
· American Head Charge - Can't Stop the Machine (with DVD; Nitrus)
· Andiamo - Love, From Italy (Denon)
· Bang Gang - Something Wrong (From Nowhere)
· Vicky Beeching - Painting the Invisible (Sparrow)
· Blood Tsunami - Thrash Metal (Candelight)
· Boys Like Girls - Boys Like Girls (Columbia) [Buy Now]
· Jonatha Brooke - Careful What You Wish For (Bad Dog)
· Brandi Carlile - The Story (Columbia)
· Rodney Carrington - King of the Mountains (Capitol) [Buy Now]
· Kendel Carson - Rearview Mirror Tears (digipak; Train Wreck)
· CéU - CéU (Six Degrees)
· The Chariot - The Fiancee (Solid State)
· Chevelle - Vena Sera (Epic) [Buy Now]
· Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis (enhanced; Rough Trade)
· Cruachan - The Morrigan's Call (Candelight)
· Bethany Dillon - Waking Up (Sparrow)
· Hilary Duff - Dignity (special edition with bonus disc also available; Hollywood) [Buy Now]
· Matt Dusk - Back in Town (Decca)
· Elk City - New Believers (Friendly Fire)
· Kurt Elling - Nightmoves (Concord)
· Everybody Else - Everybody Else (The Militia Group)
· Ferocious Eagle - The Sea Anemone Inside of Me Is Mighty (54° 40' or Fight!)
· Flickerstick - Live From Atlanta: Two Nights at Tree Sound Studios (Flickerstick)
· Fountains of Wayne - Traffic and Weather (Virgin) [Buy Now]
· MC Frontalot - Secrets From the Future (Level Up)
· Funeral - From These Wounds (Candlelight)
· Further Seems Forever - The Final Curtain (DualDisc; 567) [Buy Now]
· Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - The Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager (Atlantic)
· Matthew Herbert - Score (!K7)
· Tim Hughes - Holding Nothing Back (Sparrow)
· Idlewild - Make Another World (Sanctuary) [Buy Now]
· Alan Jackson, George Strait and Jimmy Buffett - Live at Texas Stadium (MCA Nashville)
· The Jai-Alai Savant - Flight of the Bass Delegate (GSL)
· Rose Kemp - A Hand Full of Hurricanes (One Little Indian)
· Kings of Leon - Because of the Times (RCA) [Buy Now]
Read: "Kings Of Leon Growing Up, But New LP Still Goes 'Below The Waist' "
· Let's Go Sailing - The Chaos in Order (Yardley Pop/ GR2)
· Jeff Lorber - He Had a Hat (Blue Note)
· Los Straitjackets - Rock en Español, Vol. 1 (Yep Roc)
· Maxïmo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures (Warp) [Buy Now]
· Martina McBride - Waking Up Laughing (RCA)
· Mêlée - Devils & Angels (Warner Bros.)
· Monstrance - Monstrance (two CDs; Ape House) · Mother Hips - Kiss the Crystal Flake (Camera)
· Paul Motian/ Bill Frisell/ Joe Lovano - Time and Time Again (ECM)
· Nicole C. Mullen - Sharecropper's Seed (Word)
· My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - The Filthiest Show in Town (Rykodisc)
· Omnium Gatherum - Stuck Here on Snakes Way (Candlelight)
· The Orangeburg Massacre - Moorea (Pluto/ East West)
· Ozomatli - Don't Mess With the Dragon (Concord) [Buy Now]
· John Platania - Blues, Waltzes and Badland Borders (Train Wreck)
· Poison the Well - Versions (Ferret) [Buy Now]
· Dino Saluzzi and Anja Lechner - Ojos Negros (ECM)
· Saxon - The Inner Sanctum (two CDs; SPV)
· See You Next Tuesday - Parasite (Ferret)
· Martin Sexton - Seeds (Kitchen Table)
· Shadows Fall - Threads of Life (Atlantic) [Buy Now]
Read: "Dave Grohl's Party Calls Can't Distract Shadows Fall From Recording LP"
· Sh--ake Monkey - Street Beef (Outlook)
· David Shultz and the Skyline - Sinner's Gold (Triple Stamp)
· Sia - Lady Croissant (live; Astralwerks)
· Sick Puppies - Dressed Up as Life (Virgin)
· Emilie Simon - March of the Empress (Milan)
· Spellbound - Incoming Destiny (Locomotive)
· Leeroy Stagger - Depression River (Boompa)
· Stars of the Lid - And the Refinement of Their Decline (two CDs; Kranky)
· Static-X - Cannibal (Warner Bros.) [Buy Now]
· Koko Taylor - Old School (Alligator)
· T-Squad - T-Squad (Disney)
· This Beautiful Republic - Even Heroes Need a Parachute (Forefront)
· Throbbing Gristle - Part Two - The Endless Not (limited edition; Mute)
· Throne of Katarsis - An Eternal Dark Horizon (Candlelight)
· Timbaland - Shock Value (Interscope) [Buy Now]
Read: "Timbaland Still In Shock Over Jay-Z, Madonna, Elton Collaborations"
· Lao Tizer - Diversify (Yse)
· Tyler Read - Only Rock & Roll Can Save Us (Immortal)
· Umphrey's McGee - The Bottom Half (Sci Fidelity)
· Gina Villalobos - Miles Away (Face West)
· Paul Wall - Get Money - Stay True (Atlantic) [Buy Now]
Read: " 'Mature' Paul Wall Still Raps About Girls, Grills With Mariah, T.I."
· Welcome - Sirs (Fat Cat)
· James Zabiela + Nic Fanciulli - One + One (Ministry of Sound)
· Various artists - FabricLive 32: Tayo (FabricLive)
· Various artists - One Tree Hill: The Road Mix - Volume 3 (Maverick)
· Various artists - "Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof" soundtrack (Maverick)
Notable Reissues and Archival Material:
· Beyoncé - B-Day - Deluxe Edition (with bonus CD; Columbia)
Read: "Beyonce Turns Heads With Sports Illustrated Cover, Shakira Duet"
· Black Sabbath - The Dio Years (Rhino)
· Colin Blunstone - One Year (Water)
· Laura Branigan - Greatest Hits: The Best of Branigan (Rhino)
· Anne Briggs - The Time Has Come (Water)
· Ruth Brown - The Definitive Soul Collection (two CDs; Rhino)
· Crusaders - Gold (Hip-O/UMe)
· Disrupt - Unrest/ The Rest (Relapse)
· Marvin Gaye - Number Ones (Motown/UMe)
· J. Geils Band - Greatest Hits: Best of the J. Geils Band (Rhino)
· Gilberto Gil - Gilberto Gil (Water)
· David Gray - Shine: The Best Of The Early Years (Astralwerks)
· Anthony Hamilton - Southern Comfort (Merovingian)
· The Honey Drippers - Volume One (Rhino)
· John Lee Hooker - The Best of Friends (Shout! Factory) and Gold (Hip-O/UMe)
· Killing Joke - Inside Extremities, Mixes, Rehearsals and Live (two CDs; Candelight)
· Chris Knight - The Trailer Tapes (Drifter's Church)
· Alison Krauss - A Hundred Miles or More: A Collection (Rounder)
· Mario Lanza - The Essential Mario Lanza (two CDs; RCA)
· Chris LeDoux - Cowboys Ain't Easy to Love/ Paint Me Back Home in Wyoming; Songbook of the American West/ Sing Me a Song Mr. Rodeo Man; Songs of Rodeo & Country by Chris LeDoux/ Life as a Rodeo Man; Used to Want to Be a Cowboy/ Thirty Dollar Cowboy; Western Tunesmith / He Rides the Wild Horses; and Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy/ Under This Old Hat (Capitol Nashville/ EMI)
· Huey Lewis & the News - Time Flies ... The Best of Huey Lewis & the News (Rhino)
· Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Greatest Hits (Rhino)
· My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult - The Resurrection of Luna (Rykodisc)
· Ono - Open Your Box (remixes; Astralwerks)
· Dolly Parton - Coat of Many Colors; Jolene; and My Tennessee Mountain Home (Rhino)
· Pentagle - The Time Has Come: 1967-1973 (Castle)
· Robert Plant - Dreamland; Now and Zen; and The Principle of Moments (Rhino)
· David Lee Roth - A Little Ain't Enough and Sonrisa Salvaje (Friday Music)
· Run-DMC - Live at Montreux 2001 (Eagle)
· Skid Row - Greatest Hits: 40 Seasons - The Best of Skid Row (two CDs; Rhino)
· Todd Snider - Peace, Love and Anarchy (Oh Boy)
· Stanley Brothers - The Definitive Collection - 1947-1966 (three-CD box set; Time Life)
· Steel Pulse - Greatest Hits (Rhino)
· The Temptations - Number Ones (Motown/UMe)
· Big Joe Turner - The Definitive Blues Collection (two CDs; Reprise)
· UB40 - Under the Influence: A Collection of Musical Influences & Inspirations (Under the Influence)
· Karyn White - Superwoman: The Best of Karyn White (Shout! Factory)
· Chris Whitley & Jeff Lang - Dislocation Blues (Rounder)
· Yes - Greatest Hits - Highlights From the Very Best of (Rhino)
· Zombies - Live at the Bloomsbury Theatre, London (two CDs; Rhino)
· Various artists - '80s British Gold (Hip-O/UMe)
· Various artists - Joe Meek's Freak Beat: You're Holding Me Down - 30 Freak Beats, Mod & R&B Nuggets (Castle)
· Various artists - Motown Number Ones, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 (Motown/UMe)
· Various artists - Mullets Rock! Too!: Mullets in Love (two CDs; Sony Legacy)
· Various artists - Old School Jams: Gold (Hip-O/UMe)
· Various artists - Soft Rock Gold (Hip-O/UMe)
· Abba - "The Visitors: The Essential Albums of All Time" (Classic Rock Legends)
· Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "Music in Review" (Classic Rock Legends)
· Linkin Park - "Breaking the Rabbit" (Locomotive)
· Duncan McTier - "Live in Vienna" (MVD Visual)
· Mentors - "El Duce Vita" (MVD Visual)
· Metallica - "Master of Puppets: The Essential Albums of All Time" (Classic Rock Legends)
· Nirvana - "Behind the Music: The Ultimate Critical Review" (Classic Rock Legends)
· Corinne Bailey Rae - "Live in London & New York" (with CD; Capitol)
· Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Behind the Music: The Ultimate Critical Review" (Classic Rock Legends)
· Run-DMC - "Live at Montreux 2001" (Eagle Eye)
· Bobby Rush - "Live at Ground Zero Blues Club" (MVD Visual)
· The Shirelles - "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" (MVD Visual)
· Siouxsie - "Dreamshow: Live at the Royal Festival Hall With the Millennia Ensemble" (Rhino)
· T. Rex - "Music in Review" (Classic Rock Legends)
· Johnny Tillotson - "Rock 'N Roll Legends" (MVD Visual)
· Dionne Warwick - "Live in Concert" (Image)
· Yes - "Close to the Edge: The Essential Albums of All Time" (Classic Rock Legends)
· The Zombies - "Live at the Bloomsbury Theatre, London" (Rhino)
· Various artists - "Hip Hop Life" (Universal)
· Various artists - "Radio On" (Plexifilm)
· Various artists - "Rock 'N Rolls Greatest Teen Idols" (MVD Visual)
· Various artists - "Urban Spotlight" (MVD Visual)
· Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (Saddle Creek) [Preorder]
Read: "Bright Eyes Slim Down With Single LP, Fatten Up With Loads Of Collabos"
· Hellyeah - Hellyeah (Epic) [Preorder]
Read: "Vinnie Paul Returns To Make 'Hellacious' Magic With Hellyeah"
· Various artists - Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters Colon the Soundtrack (William Street)
· Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing (deluxe limited edition with DVD due same day; RCA) [Preorder]
Read: "Don't Know How To Spell 'Avril Lavigne'? Prepare To Be Scolded"
· Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (Nothing) [Preorder]
Read: "Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero Preview: Beginning To Solve The Mystery"
· Patti Smith - Twelve (Columbia) [Preorder]
· Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (Domino)
· The Nightwatchman - One Man Revolution (Epic)
Read: "Nightwatchman, Rage Reunion Have Morello Fired Up For Political Fights"
· Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet (Atlantic)
Read: "Porcupine Tree's Wilson Talks Complex New LP, Project With Opeth's Akerfeldt"