The winners list for the 32nd annual People's Choice Awards reads like the cover of an issue of US Weekly: Brad Pitt, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Garner.
But it was "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" that took home the night's biggest awards on Tuesday. The final chapter in George Lucas' series was named Favorite Movie and Favorite Movie Drama at the awards show.
His six-part space epic has rarely been on critic's lists, despite raking in billions, so for Lucas the wins were sweet revenge. "I'm not a big favorite with the critics, but who listens to them?" Lucas said while accepting the award for Favorite Movie from Harrison Ford, according to Reuters. "The reason I make films is for you. The audience rules."
Other multiple winners at the show hosted by late-night talker Craig Ferguson included comedian Ellen DeGeneres, who won Favorite Daytime Talk Show Host and Funny Female Star (which she also won last year) and Garner, who took Favorite Female TV Star for "Alias" and Female Action Star for her movie "Elektra."
In an upset, Sandra Bullock beat out Angelina Jolie and Nicole Kidman for Favorite Female Movie Star, while Johnny Depp took the male honors. Reese Witherspoon was named Favorite Leading Lady for her work as June Carter-Cash in "Walk the Line", with Brad Pitt winning Favorite Leading Man for "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."
Witherspoon, who won a Critics' Choice Award for the role the night before, also gave props to the people. "You guys voted for us. Not the stuffy people in closed rooms. ... People who voted actually go to the movies," she said.
Matthew McConaughey was named Favorite Male Action Star for "Sahara" and Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson scored Best On-Screen Matchup for "Wedding Crashers," which also won Favorite Movie Comedy. The Depp-starring "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" was named Favorite Family Movie.
Original "American Idol" Kelly Clarkson won the Female Performer award, while Green Day took the Favorite Group title, and U2 the Favorite Tour award. The evening's opening act, Jessica Simpson — in her first public performance since announcing her impending divorce from Nick Lachey — won for Favorite Song From a Movie for "These Boots Are Made for Walkin' " from "The Dukes of Hazzard."
She thanked fans during her acceptance speech, but made no reference to the separation or to Lachey.
"This is so cool!" Simpson said while collecting her award, according to the Los Angeles Times. "I know it's because of all the fans who are my number-one supporters."
"American Idol" won for Favorite Reality Show, Competition and "My Name is Earl" took the Best New TV Comedy prize while Adam Sandler was named Favorite Funny Male Star. In the branded awards category, Cameron Diaz won the Crest Whitestrips Fans Favorite Smile, Faith Hill scored the Nice 'N Easy Fans Favorite Hair and Jennifer Aniston took the Olay Total Effects Fans Favorite Look award.
Nominations for the People's Choice were determined by the editors of Entertainment Weekly, the show's production team and a panel of pop culture fans. Winners were chosen by Internet votes.
32nd Annual People's Choice Award winners:
- Favorite Female Movie Star: Sandra Bullock
- Favorite Male Movie Star: Johnny Depp
- Favorite Leading Lady: Reese Witherspoon
- Favorite Leading Man: Brad Pitt
- Favorite Female Action Star: Jennifer Garner
- Favorite Male Action Star: Matthew McConaughey
- Favorite Onscreen Matchup: Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson ("Wedding Crashers")
- Favorite Movie Comedy: "Wedding Crashers"
- Favorite Movie Drama: "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith"
- Favorite Family Movie: "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"
- Favorite Movie: "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith"
- Favorite Female Performer: Kelly Clarkson
- Favorite Male Performer: Tim McGraw
- Favorite Group: Green Day
- Favorite Tour: U2
- Favorite Song From a Movie: "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'," as performed by Jessica Simpson in "The Dukes of Hazzard"
- Favorite New TV Comedy: "My Name is Earl"
- Favorite New TV Drama: "Prison Break"
- Favorite TV Comedy: "Everybody Loves Raymond"
- Favorite TV Drama: "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation"
- Favorite Reality Show, Competition: "American Idol"
- Favorite Reality Show, Other: "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"
- Favorite Late-Night Talk Show Host: Jay Leno
- Favorite Daytime Talk Show Host: Ellen DeGeneres
- Favorite Female TV Star: Jennifer Garner
- Favorite Male TV Star: Ray Romano
- Favorite Funny Female Star: Ellen DeGeneres
- Favorite Funny Male Star: Adam Sandler
- Crest Whitestrips Fans Favorite Smile : Cameron Diaz
- Nice 'N Easy Fans Favorite Hair: Faith Hill
- Olay Total Effects Fans Favorite Look : Jennifer Aniston