Late Bloomer: Don't get caught napping on Kanye's hugely anticipated Late Registration — tucked in as a bonus track is the full-length take of "Diamonds (From Sierra Leone)." Unlike the version that appears as the 13th track and guests Kanye's boss, Jay-Z, the hidden cut is a non-remix. Also look out for a sample of Donal Leace's "Today Won't Come Again" on "Hey Mama," and producer Jon Brion's cornucopia of odd instruments — including vocoder and xylophone — throughout. Other tracks include "Heard 'Em Say" (featuring Maroon 5's Adam Levine), "Crack Music" (featuring Game) and "We Major" (featuring Nas and Really Doe).
Can You Keep Another Secret?: Rihanna, also an employee at Jigga Inc., tacks a secret treat onto the tail end of her debut, Music of the Sun — a remix of her club-tastic "Pon De Replay," this time co-starring the rowdy Elephant Man. Other tracks include: "That's La, La, La," "You Don't Love Me (No, No, No)" and "There's a Thug in My Life."
Planning for a Breakthrough: Chances are many of you have already heard Death Cab for Cutie's Plans, what with mtvU's exclusive stream and all. But fans won't want to overlook some extra bonus goodies iTunes is offering — including bonus cover songs of Teenage Fanclub's "Start Again" and Freedy Johnston's "Bad Reputation" — and indie-files should take note of guest spots by Beulah's Bill Swan and Harvey Danger's Sean Nelson. Tracks include: "Your Heart Is an Empty Room," "What Sarah Said" and "Someday You Will Be Loved."
Also in Love: Eric Clapton's Back Home is being touted as his first collection of original material in five years, but it seems the guitar icon couldn't steer clear of at least some cover-age, what with a rendition of George Harrison's "Love Comes to Everyone" and the Spinners' "Love Don't Love Nobody." Nor could the frequent collaborator go it alone, with John Mayer, Steve Winwood and Billy Preston paying visits. A limited-edition DualDisc is due the same day. Tracks include "One Track Mind," "One Day" and "Back Home."
Splish Splash: Dip into Moistboyz IV as well as the latest from Brooks & Dunn and a new album by Lazy on Water Music, then dry off with Sizzla's new one and Rihanna's Music of the Sun.
Super-Duper Releases: Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives, who release Souls' Chapel this week, would find good company with Conjure One (Extraordinary Ways), Killer Mike (Ghetto Extraordinary) and Robert Walter (Super Heavy Organ).
Song Titles Of The Week:
"Funny Thing About Getting Pistol Whipped Is ..." (From Autumn to Ashes' Abandon Your Friends)
"The Donky Donk" (Knoc-Turn'al's Return of the Hustler)
Tony Yayo's Thoughts of a Predicate Felon: The G-Unit rep — who wore a T-shirt proclaiming "My Album Is In Stores" at Sunday's VMAs, even though it's not due until Tuesday (August 30) — regroups his pals on "I Know You Don't Love Me" and ropes in Eminem and Obie Trice for "Drama Setter." A limited "G-Unit Collectors Edition" version has a bonus DVD featuring interviews with G-Unit, plus a making-of doc and the "So Seductive" video.
Anastacia's Anastacia and Les Paul's Les Paul & Friends: Producer Dave Stewart chips in on the pop singer's latest, bridging it with another album due this week, Stewart's former Eurythmics partner, Annie Lennox, who performed at Live 8. So did Bon Jovi, and their guitarist, Richie Sambora, surfaces on the star-studded Les Paul & Friends. Les Paul's first album since 1978 also guests Sting and Joss Stone, Eric Clapton, Joe Perry and Keith Richards.
Various artists - Austin City Limits Music Festival: Live From Austin, Texas 2004: Move over, South by Southwest — the acclaimed PBS project brought in a flurry of big talent in its own right for last year's gala. The disc immortalizes the event and features the Pixies, Franz Ferdinand, Dashboard Confessional, Los Lonely Boys, Ben Harper, Trey Anastasio and more.
- 30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie (enhanced; Virgin)
Read: "30 Seconds To Mars' Jared Leto Succeeds Where Keanu And Crowe Failed"
Buy Now: A Beautiful Lie (Virgin)
- Yolanda Adams - Day by Day (enhanced; Atlantic)
- Anasol - Anasol (Univision)
- Anastacia - Anastacia (Columbia)
- Audio Adrenaline - Until My Heart Caves In (Forefront)
- Becoming the Archetype - Terminate Damnation (enhanced; Tooth & Nail)
- Big Boy - El Comeback (Universal Latino)
- Biohazard - Means to an End (Steamhammer/SPV)
- BodyRockers- BodyRockers (Universal)
- Brooks & Dunn - Hillbilly Deluxe (Arista Nashville)
- The Bush Chemists - Raw Raw Dub (ROIR)
- Casting Crowns - Lifesong (Reunion)
- Eric Clapton - Back Home (Warner Bros.)
Buy Now: Back Home (Warner Bros.)
- Cold - A Different Kind of Pain(enhanced; Lava)
- Conjure One - Extraordinary Ways (Nettwerk)
- The Coral - The Invisible Invasion (Columbia)
- Czar-Nok - That One Way (Priority/Capitol)
- Facing New York - Facing New York (Five One Inc.)
- From Autumn to Ashes - Abandon Your Friends (Vagrant)
- Euge Groove - Just Feels Right (Narada)
- Hackensaw Boys - Love What You Do (Nettwerk)
- Charlie Haden and the Liberation Music Orchestra - Not in Our Name (Verve)
- Herbie Hancock - Possibilities (Vector)
- Dave Holland & Barre Phillips - Music From Two Basses (ECM)
- Death Cab for Cutie - Plans (Atlantic)
Read: "Death Cab For Cutie Living Up To The 'Death' Part On Next LP"
Buy Now: Plans (Atlantic)
- J-Live - The Hear After (Penalty)
- Joy Electric - The Ministry of Archers (enhanced; Tooth & Nail)
- Juliet - Random Order (enhanced; Virgin)
- Killer Mike - Ghetto Extraordinary (Purple Ribbon Entertainment/ Sony)
Read: "Killer Mike Slams Police Brutality, Black Churches On New LP"
Buy Now: Ghetto Extraordinary (Purple Ribbon Entertainment/ Sony)
- Knoc-Turn'al - Return of the Hustler (Sonic Wave)
- Steve Kuhn - Trance (ECM)
- Lazy - Incorporated (Water Music)
- Wynton Marsalis - Live at the House of Tribes (Blue Note)
- Moistboyz - Moistboyz IV (Sanctuary)
- Noisettes - Three Moods of the Noisettes (Low Altitude)
- Noztra - Ya' Ain't Ready (Machete Music)
- Nuclear Assault - Third World Genocide (Steamhammer/SPV)
- OK Go - Oh No (Capitol)
Read: "OK Go Bust 'A Million' Moves In Web Phenomenon"
Buy Now: Oh No (Capitol)
- Opeth - Ghost Reveries (Roadrunner)
- Our Lady Peace - Healthy in Paranoid Times (DualDisc version with making-of album and album in PCM stereo same day; Columbia)
- Les Paul - Les Paul & Friends (Capitol)
- Program the Dead - Program the Dead (Universal)
- Rihanna - Music of the Sun (Def Jam)
Read: "Rihanna Insists She's Got What You Need In 'Pon De Replay' Follow-Up"
Buy Now: Music of the Sun (Def Jam)
- Sonny Rollins - Without a Song: The 9/11 Concert (Milestone)
- Sizzla - Da Real Live Thing (Universal)
- Marty Stuart and His Fabulous Superlatives - Souls' Chapel (Universal South)
- Supercreep - Supercreep (Universal)
- Vendetta Red - Sisters of the Red Death (Epic)
- Robert Walter - Super Heavy Organ (Magna Carta)
- Kanye West - Late Registration(Roc-A-Fella)
Read: "Kanye Brings His Revolutionary Streak To Late Registration"
Buy Now: Late Registration (Roc-A-Fella)
- Tony Yayo - Thoughts of a Predicate Felon (collector's edition same day; Interscope)
Buy Now: Thoughts of a Predicate Felon (Interscope)
- Various artists - Austin City Limits Music Festival: Live From Austin, Texas 2004 (Rhino)
- Various artists - Hot Wheels Acceleracers (BMG)
- Various artists - Jamie Oldakar's Mad Dogs & Okies (Concord)
- Various artists - The Mixed Media Series: Basquiat Salutes Jazz (Concord/Heritage)
- Various artists - "The Baxter" soundtrack (Milan)
- Devo - Live 1980 (DualDisc; Music Video Distributors)
Buy Now: Live 1980 (Music Video Distributors)
- Bob Dylan - No Direction Home: The Soundtrack (The Bootleg Series Vol. 7) (double CD of rare and unreleased recordings from 1961-66; Columbia/Legacy)
Buy Now: No Direction Home: The Soundtrack (The Bootleg Series Vol. 7) (Columbia/Legacy)
- Brian Eno and John Cale - Wrong Way Up (reissue with two bonus tracks, new artwork and liner notes; Hannibal/ All Saints)
- Moistboyz - I & II (Sanctuary)
- Julian Priester & Pepo Mtoto - Love, Love (ECM)
- Soulfly - Soulfly: The 25th Anniversary Edition Series (Roadrunner)
- Various artists - Chris Coco Presents: The Dub Club(remastered; Trojan)
- Eminem - "The Complete Story" (Warner Bros.)
- Dizzy Gillespie - "Live in London" (Kultur)
- Macy Gray - "Live in Las Vegas" (Warner Bros.)
- Marilyn Manson - "God, Guns and Government World Tour" (UMD/PSP format; Eagle Rock)
- Our Lady Peace - "Live" (Columbia)
- Busta Rhymes - "Everything Remains Raw" (UMD/PSP format; Eagle Rock)
- Snoop Dogg - "Puff Puff Pass Tour" (UMD/PSP format; Eagle Rock)
- Spandau Ballet - "Live From the N.E.C." (remixed and remastered in 5.1; Columbia)
- Suicide Girls - "The First Tour" (Epitaph)
- Dan Zanes and Friends - "All Around the Kitchen! Crazy Videos and Concert Songs!" (Ryko)
- "My Scene Goes Hollywood: The Movie" (animated feature with Lindsay Lohan; Buena Vista)
Read: "Lohan Still A Redhead On Toy-Store Shelves, In Cartoons"