Fittingly enough, for her latest release, Rebirth, Jennifer Lopez looked to the past, bringing back folks who worked on her first album, On the 6.
J. Lo's new album, her first since 2002's This Is Me ... Then, is largely a straight-up dance music effort with a few ballads thrown in for good measure. Rebirth also includes a collaboration with Fat Joe.
Operating at a much lower energy level is the new album from Jack Johnson, In Between Dreams. The Hawaii resident and surf aficionado brought the island's laid-back vibe to the album with the inclusion of the slack guitar, and he added some pop inflections on tracks like the first single "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing."
Quirky Russian songstress Regina Spektor releases her piano-driven Soviet Kitsch, while 21st-century prog-rockers the Mars Volta let loose their second album, Frances the Mute.
Also hitting stores this week are albums by Doves (Some Cities); Amos Lee (Amos Lee); and Judas Priest (Angel of Retribution).
Meanwhile, one album that was slated to hit stores next week will arrive on shelves a few days ahead of schedule. 50 Cent's Massacre, originally set for a February 15 release, then a March 8 release, is actually coming out Thursday after being leaked onto the Internet and the streets. The album finds the rapper lashing out at Fat Joe, Nas, Kelis, Ja Rule and Shyne.
Out Tuesday, March 1:
- Jessi Alexander - Honeysuckle Sweet (Columbia)
- Solomon Burke - Make Do with What You Got (Shout! Factory)
- C-Universum - C-Universum (54º40' or Fight!)
- Jim Camacho - Stalker Songs (TMG)
- Coralie Clement - Bye Bye Beauté (Nettwerk)
- Deveroa Chyba - Do Stran (54º40' or Fight!)
- Mark Dignam - Box Heart Man (Times Beach)
- Doves - Some Cities (Capitol)
- Kathleen Edwards - Back to Me (Rounder)
- El Pus - Hoodlum Rock (Virgin)
- Julie Gold - The Girl I Found (Gadfly)
- Half-Handed Cloud - Thy Is a Word, and Feet Need Lamps (Asthmatic Kitty)
- Hip Hop Hoodios - Agua Pa' La Gente (Jazzheads)
- Lily Holbrook - Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt (Narada)
- Ivy - In the Clear (Nettwerk)
- Shooter Jennings - Put the 'O' Back in Country (Universal South)
- Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams (Universal Motown)
Read: "Jack Johnson Takes It Easy On New LP, Gets Into Curious George's Head"
Buy Now: In Between Dreams (Universal Motown)
- Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution (Epic)
Read: "Judas Priest Reborn With Retribution, Revisit Classic Sound"
Buy Now: Angel of Retribution (Epic)
- Amos Lee - Amos Lee (Blue Note)
- O'Donel Levy - In the Name of Love (Room 302)
- Jennifer Lopez - Rebirth (Epic)
Read: "Fat Joe Nearly A No-Show To Flow With J. Lo"
Buy Now: Rebirth (Epic)
- The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute (Universal Motown)
- Matt Bianco featuring Basia - Matt's Mood (Decca)
- Eric Matthews - Six Kinds of Passion Looking for an Exit (Empyrean)
- Montag - Alone, Not Alone (Carpark)
- Norma Jean - O God the Aftermath (Solid State)
- O'2L - Doyle's Brunch (Peak/Concord)
- Jamie O'Neal - Brave (Capitol)
- Judith Owen - Lost and Found (Century of Progress)
- Pentaphobe - Sa'iyr: A Tribal Metamorphosis (Ark 21)
- Ragz Mo' Rocka - Rising of the Phoenix (3:33 Records)
- Kurt Rosenwinkel - Deep Song (w/Brad Mehldau and Joshua Redman) (Verve)
- Tom Russell - Hotwalker (HighTone)
- Kate Ryan - Stronger (Fuel)
- David Singer and the Sweet Science - The Stars Burn Out (Engine Studios)
- Soel - Memento (Warner Bros.)
- Some Other Place - To Be Continued (54º40' or Fight!)
- Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch (Warner Bros.)
Read: "Regina Spektor Brings Her Soviet Kitsch To U.S., With A Hand From The Strokes"
Buy Now: Soviet Kitsch (Warner Bros.)
- Marvin Stamm & Ed Soph - The Stamm/Soph Project Live at Birdland (Jazzed Media)
- Ronan Tynan - Ronan (Universal Classics)
- The Vacancy - Heart Attack (A-F)
- Waawe - All Fabulous Things Turn Out to Happen (54º40' or Fight!)
- Phil Woods - Groovin' to Marty Paich (Jazzed Media)
- Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings - Just for a Thrill (Fuel)
- Savina Yannatou - Sumiglia (ECM)
- Various artists - Soundtrack to "Be Cool" (TVT Soundtrax)
- Various artists - Soundtrack to "Million Dollar Baby" (Varese Sarabande)
- Various artists - Soundtrack to "Robots" (Virgin)
- DVD: Soulfly - "The Song Remains Insane" (Roadrunner)
- 50 Cent - The Massacre (Aftermath)
Read: "50 Cent Album Preview: Even 'Great' Can Look Like Falling Off"
Buy Now: The Massacre (Aftermath)
- Black Label Society - Mafia (Artemis)
Read: "Zakk Wylde Rips Blind Followers On 'Just Another Black Label Society Record'"
- Kasabian - Kasabian (RCA)
- Daft Punk - Human After All (Virgin Records)
- Kaiser Chiefs -- Employment (Universal)
Read: "Kaiser Chiefs 'Predict A Riot,' Music Press Predicts Franz Ferdinand-Like Success"
- Various artists - Now That's What I Call Music! 18 (Sony)
- Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (Atlantic)
- Moby - Hotel (V2/BMG)
Read: "Moby Takes Aim At Nick And Jessica With 'Beautiful' "
Buy Now: Hotel (V2/BMG)
- Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze (Interscope)
Read: "New Queens Of The Stone Age Album: The Inside Scoop"
Buy Now: Lullabies to Paralyze (Interscope)