This week's battle of the cash registers involves a couple of heavyweight new releases.
In this corner is jailed rapper Shyne, who signed a record deal with Def Jam from behind bars to house his imprint, Gangland Records. His second album, Godfather Buried Alive, is his first in five years and features the much-talked-about "For the Record," in which he disses 50 Cent, who called him a punk on a New York radio station.
In the opposite corner is the heavy-hitter for the rock set, Alter Bridge, the band formed from the ashes of Creed. The new group releases its debut album this week, One Day Remains, on the heels of first single "Open Your Eyes."
Havoc and Prodigy, a.k.a. Mobb Deep, are back in action this week with their latest release, Amerikaz Nightmare. The album features the Kanye West-produced "Throw Your Hands."
Also out this week is the second volume of the Rock Against Bush compilation. This installment features previously unreleased tracks from bands including Green Day and Bouncing Souls, plus rare tracks from the Foo Fighters and a host of others.
Also out this week are albums from a Stills-less David Crosby and Graham Nash (Crosby-Nash), a cat-glasses-toting Lisa Loeb (The Way It Really Is), a right-here-waiting Richard Marx (My Own Best Enemy), Teedra Moses (Complex Simplicity), Kool Keith & Kutmasta Kurt (Diesel Truckers), Ari Hest (Someone to Tell) and Rise Against (Siren Song of the Counter-Culture).
Out Tuesday, August 10:
- Alter Bridge - One Day Remains (Wind-Up)
Buy Now: One Day Remains (Wind-Up)
Read: "Life After Creed: Alter Bridge Look To A Stapp-Free Future"
- Michelle Anthony - Stand Fall Repeat (Burn and Shiver)
- Ataxia - Automatic Writing (Record Collection)
- Athens Boys Choir - Rhapsody in T (Daemon)
- Burrito Deluxe - The Whole Enchilada (Luna Chica)
- Clouseaux - Lagoon (Dionysus)
- Codetalkers - Deluxe Edition (Deep South)
- David Crosby and Graham Nash - Crosby-Nash (Sanctuary)
- Das Ich - Lava (Metropolis)
- Death Threat Now - Now Here Fast (Triple Crown)
- Julia Fordham - That's Life (Vanguard)
- Jeffrey Foucault - Stripping Cane (Signature Sounds)
- Rachel Fuller - Cigarettes & Housework (Universal)
- Richie Furay - In My Father's House (Friday)
- GBH - Cruel & Unusual (Idol)
- A Girl Called Eddy - A Girl Called Eddy (Anti)
- The Good Life - Album of the Year (Saddle Creek)
- Owen Gray - Shook, Shimmy & Shake (Trojan/Sanctuary)
- Grendel - Prescription: Medicide (Metropolis)
- Andy Griggs - This I Gotta See (RCA Nashville)
- Ari Hest - Someone to Tell (Columbia)
- Houston - It's Already Written (Capitol)
Buy Now: It's Already Written (Capitol)
Read: "Houston Scores Club Hit With Help From Chingy, Nate Dogg"
- K's Choice - 10: 1993-2003 Ten Years Of (Vanguard)
- Robert Earl Keen - No. 2 Live Dinner (Koch)
- Emer Kenny - Parting Glass (Triloka/Artemis)
- Kidz Bop Kids - Kidz Bop 6 (Razor & Tie)
- Kool Keith & Kutmasta Kurt - Diesel Truckers (Oglio)
- Mark Lanegan Band - Bubblegum (Beggars Banquet)
- Lhasa - The Living Road (Nettwerk)
- Lisa Loeb - The Way It Really Is (Rounder)
- Malibu Storm - Malibu Storm (Rounder)
- Charlotte Martin - On Your Shore (RCA)
- Richard Marx - My Own Best Enemy (EMI/Capitol)
- The Mendoza Line - Fortune (Bar/None)
- Minor Times - Making Enemies (Level Plane)
- Mobb Deep - Amerikaz Nightmare (Violator/Jive)
Buy Now: Amerikaz Nightmare (Violator/Jive)
Read: "Mobb Deep Blinded With '80s Science For 'Twisted' Beat"
- Mono Chrome - Collapse and Sever (Metropolis)
- Teedra Moses - Complex Simplicity (TVT)
- Mourning September - A Man Can Change His Stars (Floodgate/WEA)
- Muffs - Really Really Happy (Five Foot Two/Oglio)
- Michael Powers - Onyx Root (Baryon)
- Rachel Proctor - Where I Belong (BNA)
- Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter-Culture (DreamWorks)
- Rolling Blackouts - Black Is Beautiful (Record Collection/True Love)
- Shindig - The Beginning Is Your End (Undecided)
- Shyne - Godfather Buried Alive (Def Jam)
Buy Now: Godfather Buried Alive (Def Jam)
Read: "Shyne Album Inspired By Supermodel Shoes, Pacino Films"
- Slim Cessna's Auto Club - The Bloudy Tenent, Truth and Peace (Alternative Tentacles)
- Tracy Spuehler - It's the Sound (Tracymusic)
- Paul Thorn - Are You With Me? (Back Porch)
- Tin Hat Trio - Book of Silk (Ropeadeope/Artemis)
- Unbunny - Snow Tires (Hidden Agenda/Parasol)
- The Upsidedown - Trust Electricity (Reverb)
- Velvet Crush - Stereo Blues (Action Musik)
- Wailin' Jennys - 40 Days (Red House)
- Yellow Swans - Bring the Neon War Home (Narnack)
- James Zabiela - Alive (Renaissance/System)
- Various artists - A Trip in Lounge (Varèse Sarabande)
- Various artists - Crunkin' G Style (Dmaft/Oglio)
- Various artists - Is It Rolling Bob?: A Reggae Tribute to Bob Dylan (Sanctuary/Ras)
- Various artists - Rock Against Bush Vol. 2 (Fat Wreck Chords/Punkover)
Read: "No Doubt, Foo Fighters, Yellowcard On Rock Against Bush Vol. 2"
- Various artists - Touch My Heart: A Tribute to Johnny Paycheck (Sugar Hill)
- Various artists: Soundtrack to "Code 46" (Koch)
- Various artists: Soundtrack to "Garden State" (Sony)
- DVD: Hilary Duff - "That Girl Can Rock: The Concert" (Buena Vista/Hollywood)
- DVD: Nana Mouskouri - "Nana Swings: Live at Jazzopen Festival" (Philips)
- DVD: Various artists - "Lords of the Underground" (Thump)
- Ryan Cabrera - Take It All Away (Atlantic)
- Saliva - Survival of the Sickest (Island)
Read: "Saliva: Foaming At The Mouth"
- Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (Rhino)
- Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous (Warner Bros.)
- R. Kelly - Happy People/ U Saved Me (Jive)
Read: "R. Kelly Giving Happy People Some Inspiration"
- Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying (Curb)
- Jason Mraz - Tonight, Not Again — At the Eagles Ballroom (Elektra)
- Björk - Medulla (Elektra/Asylum)
- Jill Scott - Beautifully Human: Words & Sounds 2 (Sony)
- Insane Clown Posse - Hell's Pit, Version 1 (Psychopathic)
- Insane Clown Posse - Hell's Pit, Version 2 (Psychopathic)
- Various artists - Passion of the Christ: Songs (Wind-Up)