We just got an album. We just got an album. We just got an album. Wonder who it's from?
Steve Burns, former host of "Blue's Clues," of course.
Newly minted indie rocker Burns delivers his debut record, Songs for Dustmites, which features a little help from his friends, members of the Flaming Lips and their producer David Fridmann. Songs like "Mighty Little Man," "What I Do on Saturday" and "Troposphere" showcase Burns' wide-eyed innocence with the Lips' penchant for the absurd.
Dashboard Confessional's Chris Carrabba, the reluctant emo poster boy, releases A Mark, a Mission, a Brand, a Scar. The critical consensus is that Carrabba finally exhibits his full power as a musician on songs like "So Beautiful," "Ghost of a Good Thing" and "Several Ways to Die."
Ben Lee tries hard to get your attention on Hey You. Yes You. Dan the Automator produces the Australian rocker's fifth album, and the combination makes for catchy pop songs and spaced-out sounds. According to Lee, "Chills," a power ballad co-written by Jason Schwartzman, was written with high-school proms in mind, with the aim being that the song be played at the pre-summer festivities for years to come.
State Property's Beanie Sigel Presents 2: The Album features Beanie, of course, as well as fellow Roc-A-Fellas like Freeway, Peedi Crakk and Young Chris. Broadcast release Haha Sound, the band's second, ethereal album, alongside Goodie Mob rapper Big Gipp's Mutant Mindframe and Pat Benatar's Go.
The soundtrack for the slasher buddy flick "Freddy Vs. Jason" features the aggro-rock of Powerman 5000, Stone Sour and Type O Negative, while a kinder, gentler compilation, Powerpuff Girls: Power Pop, features the Sahara Hotnights on "On Top of Your World," Cherish on "Power of the Female" and "Me and My Girls," and Shonen Knife's ode to the crankiest super heroine, "Buttercup (She's a Supergirl)."
Out Tuesday, August 12:
- Howard Alden and Bucky Pizzarelli - A Mellow Tone (Concord Jazz)
- Sherrié Austin - Streets of Heaven (BBR)
- Ballboy - A Guide for the Daylight Hours (Manifesto)
- Danny Barnes - Dirt on the Angel (Terminus)
- Martin Barre - Stage Left (Fuel 2000)
- Tywanna Jo Baskette - Fancy Blue (Sweet Tea/Terminus)
- Pat Benatar - Go! (Bel Chiasso)
- Big Gipp - Mutant Mindframe (Koch)
- Blusom - Go Slowly All the Way Round the Outside (Second Nature)
- Broadcast - Haha Sound (Warp)
- Steve Burns - Songs for Dustmites (PIAS)
Read: "Ex-'Blue's Clues' Host Steve Burns An Indie Rocker At Heart"
- Calico System - The Duplicated Memory (Eulogy)
- Carbon Leaf - 5 Alive (two CDs, Carbon Leaf)
- The Cash Brothers - A Brand New Night (Rounder)
- Eva Cassidy - American Tune (Blix Street)
- Cat on Form - Structure and Fear (Southern)
- Eddy Clearwater with Los Straitjackets - Rock 'n' Roll City (Bullseye Blues & Jazz)
- Dashboard Confessional - A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar (Vagrant)
Read: "Dashboard Confessional Singer Heals Scars, Stops Singing The Blues On New LP"
Hear A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar first on MTV.com
Buy Now: A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar (Vagrant)
- Jason Crosby - Four Chords and Seven Notes Ago (Artists House)
- Dapp Theory - Y'all Just Don't Know (Concord)
- Dead by July - Before Dishonor (Bockhorn)
- Disfear - Misanthropic Generation (Relapse)
- Dishwalla - Live ... From the Flow State (Immergent)
Buy Now: Live ... From the Flow State (Immergent)
- DJ Craze - Rugged Radio Saturday (Audio Research)
- DJ Keoki - KeokiClash (Hypnotic)
- Dudoos - Kogidaso! Shura-Shu-Shun! (Sound Pollution)
- Extol - Synergy (Century Media)
- Béla Fleck and the Flecktones - Little Worlds (Columbia)
- Gene Loves Jezebel - Exploding Girls (Triple X)
- Scott Hamilton Quartet - Live in London (Concord Jazz)
- Inhuman - The New Nightmare (A-F)
- Alan Jackson - Greatest Hits 2 (Arista)
- The Joykiller - Ready, Sexed, Go! (Epitaph)
- Jude the Obscure - The Coldest Winter (One Day Savior)
- Ben Lee - Hey You. Yes You. (F2)
Buy Now: Hey You. Yes You. (F2)
- Los Lonely Boys - Los Lonely Boys (Or Music)
- Low Flying Owls - Elixir Viritae (Stinky)
- Tom Mabe - A Wake-Up Call for Telemarketers (Megaforce)
- Marizane - Stage One (Vibro-phonic)
- The Mexican Blackbirds - Just to Spite You (Dirtnap)
- Mosquitos - Mosquitos (Bar None)
- Judy Mowatt - Sing Our Own Song (Shanachie)
- Ken Navarro - All the Way (Shanachie)
- Michelle Nixon - It's My Turn (Pinecastle)
- Tim O'Brien - Traveler (Sugar Hill)
- Pansy Division - Total Entertainment (Alternative Tentacles)
- Danilo Pérez - ... Till Then (Verve)
- Sarah Pierce - Love's the Only Way (Little Bear/Valley Entertainment)
- Pigface - Head (Invisible)
- Rap Mania - The Roots of Rap (X-Ray)
- Kurt Rosenwinkel - Heatcore (Verve)
- Arundhati Roy - Come September ... In Conversations With Howard Zinn (Alternative Tentacles)
- Diane Schuur - Midnight (Concord Jazz)
- Slack Family - Pickin' Up the Slack (Planetary)
- Smith, White & Fairchild - Love Never Fails (Skaggs Family)
- Smoo - Traffic in My Soul (Valley Entertainment)
- South Central Cartel - South Central Hell-A (D3)
- The Spotlight Syndicate - ... Forget the Static Past ... (Substandard)
- State Property - Beanie Sigel Presents 2: The Album (Def Jam)
- These Arms Are Snakes - This Was Meant to Hurt You (Jade Tree)
- Walter Trout - Relentless (Ruf)
- Truxton - Truxton (Substandard)
- Viki/Hair Police - Split (Load)
- Vortis - God Won't Bless America Again (Thick)
- Wehrwolfe - Godless We Stand (Magick)
- Robin Williamson - Skirting the River Road (ECM)
- World Inferno Friendship Society - Hallomas — Live at North Six (DCN)
- Various artists - 7Heads R Better Than 1, Vol. 1: No Edge Ups in South Africa (7Heads)
- Various artists - Boston Scene Report (TKO)
- Various artists - "Cheetah Girls" soundtrack (Walt Disney)
- Various artists - "Freddy Vs. Jason" soundtrack (Def Jam)
- Various artists - Fueling the Flames of Revolution (A-F)
- Various artists - "Grind" soundtrack (Atlantic)
- Various artists - An Irish Holiday (Eagle)
- Various artists - Japanese Assault (Relapse)
- Various artists - !K7150 (!K7)
- Various artists - Kids Bop Vol. 4 (Razor and Tie)
- Various artists - "The Last Great Wilderness" soundtrack (Domino)
- Various artists - Metamorphic: The String Quartet Tribute to Tool 2 (Vitamin)
- Various artists - "Open Range" soundtrack (Hollywood)
- Various artists - Powerpuff Girls: Power Pop (Kid Rhino)
- Various artists - Shout, Sister, Shout: A Tribute to Sister Rosetta
- DVD Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Run (Geffen)
- DVD DJ Tiesto - Another Day at the Office (Black Hole)
- DVD Kottonmouth Kings - Endless Highway (Music Video Distributors/Suburban Noize)
- DVD New Order - 316 (Rhino)
- DVD Skid Row - Under the Skin: The Making of Thickskin (Music Video Distributors)
- Kraftwerk - Tour de France Soundtracks (Astralwerks)
Buy Now: Tour de France (Astralwerks)
- Neil Young - Greendale (Warner Bros.)
- Various artists - Neptunes Presents: Clones (Arista)
Read: "Summer Music Preview: Neptunes' Star Trak Presents ... Clones"
Buy Now: Neptunes Presents: Clones (Arista)
- Bow Wow - Unleashed (Columbia)
Buy Now: Unleashed (Columbia)
- Hilary Duff - Metamorphosis (Disney)
Read: "Hilary Duff: Not Just For Kids"
Buy Now: Metamorphosis (Disney)
- Peter Frampton - Now (33rd St.)
- Anthony Hamilton - Coming From Where I'm From (Arista)
Read: "Eve, D'Angelo Can Testify: Anthony Hamilton Is 'Hellified Powerful' "
Buy Now: Coming From Where I'm From (Arista)
- Outkast - Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (La Face)
Buy Now: Speakerboxxx/The Love Below (La Face)
- Triumph the Insult Comic Dog - Songs in the Key of Poop (Warner Bros.)
Read: "Eminem Enemy Triumph Previews LP; Beefs With Bow Wow, Benji"
- Mariah Carey - Remixes (Sony)
- Raveonettes- Chain Gang of Love (Sony)
- John Mayer - Heavier Things (Sony)
Read: "John Mayer Tries Hip-Hop With Help From Roots' ?uestlove"
- Seal - Seal (Warner Bros.)
- Elvis Costello - North (Universal)
- Bubba Sparxxx - Deliverance (Interscope)
Read: "Bubba Sparxxx Softens Bumpkin Image, Teams Up With Justin For A 'Hootnanny' "
- Carnie Wilson - For the First Time (KMA)
- Jin - Almost Famous (Virgin)
Read: "Ruff Ryders' New Dog: Jin"