One way to make it in this business is by having a great voice. Another is to marry a big-cheese music mogul. Latin pop singer Thalia has both bases covered.
With nearly a decade's worth of albums in her wake, the Mexican singer/actress, who wed former Sony Music chief Tommy Mottola in 2000, is dropping her first English language album, Thalia. Thalia, following in the crossover footsteps of Shakira and the aisle-walking ones of Mariah Carey, is poised to break in the States thanks to a lead afforded by the single "I Want You," featuring Fat Joe.
With momentum of the quirky, cute and incredibly infectious "Cameltoe" behind them, Brooklyn quintet Fannypack have released their debut, So Stylistic. Three female singers and two male DJs using old-school beats and rhymes as hot as the weather, Fannypack may have created the party album of the summer (see " 'Cameltoe' Making An Impression On Booty Shakers, Bagel Buyers").
While it's not entirely new Used material, the Utah quartet's Maybe Memories features live tracks and outtakes from the Used's self-titled debut as well as the demos of unreleased tracks "It Could Be a Good Excuse" and "Zero Mechanism." The CD/DVD package also includes more than 100 minutes of home video footage and the band's four videos (see "The Used Offer Old 'Memories' In New CD/DVD Package").
Beth Orton takes on a cover of Cat Stevens' "Wild World," which is then followed by the original, on the soundtrack to "How To Deal." Sky Sweetman's "Billy S.," as wall as tracks from the Donnas, Flaming Lips, John Mayer and Liz Phair are also included.
Wu-Tang associate Killah Priest returns to the pulpit with Black August, the rapper's fourth album, and former Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth is out to prove that he can still kick it in spandex on his seventh solo album, Diamond Dave.
Here's what notable releases drop this week:
Out Tuesday, July 8:
- 10 Foot Ganja - Plant Midnight Landing (ROIR)
- Aceyalone & Abstract Rude - Lab Down Under (Basement)
- Bardo Pond - On the Ellipse (ATP)
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - Save My Soul (Vanguard)
- The Clientele - Violet Hour (Merge)
- Club 8 - Strangely Beautiful (Hidden Agenda)
- Faith and the Muse - The Burning Season (Metropolis)
- Fannypack - So Stylistic (Tommy Boy)
- Fictional - Fiction (Metropolis)
- Figure Four - Suffering the Loss (Solid State)
- The Flesh - Death Connection (EP, Kanine)
- Grand Incredible - GI-gantic (BEC/Tooth & Nail)
- Colin Hay - Man at Work (Compass)
- cEvin Key/Ken Marshall - The Dragon Experience (Metropolis)
- Killah Priest - Black August (Recon)
- Klute - Lie, Cheat & Steal/You Should Be Ashamed (Breakbeat Science)
- Kris Kristofferson - Broken Freedom Song: Live from San Francisco (Oh Boy!)
- Vic Latino - Summer Vibes (Tommy Boy)
- The Magic Band - Back to the Front (ATP)
- Peter Malick - New York City (EP, Koch)
- Mêlée - Against the Tide (EP, Hopeless)
- Ras Michael - A Weh Dem a Go Do Wid It (ROIR)
- Sarah Jane Morris - Love and Pain (Instinct)
- Pretenders - Time Remixes by Junior Vasquez (EP, Artemis)
- David Lee Roth - Diamond Dave (Magna Carta)
- The Shocker - Up Your Ass Tray (EP, Little Pusher/Oglio)
- Slick Shoes - Far from Nowhere (SideOneDummy)
- Sparks - Lil' Beethoven (Palm Pictures)
- Thalia - Thalia (Virgin)
- Tractor Kings - Gone to Heaven (Mud/Parasol)
- TV on the Radio - Young Liars (Touch and Go)
- Unto Ashes - Empty Into White (Projekt)
- The Used - Maybe Memories (Warner Bros.)
Read "The Used Offer Old 'Memories' In New CD/DVD Package"
Buy Now: Maybe Memories (Warner Bros.)
- Von Zippers - The Crime Is Now (Estrus)
- Woggles - Ragged but Right (Telstar)
- Woke Up Falling - It's Only Your Ghost (EP, Post436)
- Yes - Remix Album (Rhino)
- Various artists - A Mess of Our Favorites, Vol. 2 (Paisley Pop)
- Various artists - Get the Blues 2 (NARM)
- Various artists - "How to Deal" soundtrack (Capitol)
- Various artists - Latin Christmas (Concord Picante)
- Various artists - Live at Telluride (Frog Pad)
- Various artists - "Rise — The Story of Rave Outlaw Disco Donnie" soundtrack (Utensil)
- Chingy - Jackpot (Capitol)
Read: "Chingy Set To Hit The Jackpot With Ludacris, Murphy Lee"
- Keith Murray - He's Keith Murray (Def Jam)
- RX Bandits - The Resignation (Drive-Thru/MCA)
- Various artists - "Bad Boys II" soundtrack (Bad Boy)
Read: "50 Cent, Biggie, Justin Timberlake On 'Bad Boys 2' Soundtrack"
- Jane's Addiction - Strays (Capitol)
Read: "Jane's Addiction Breathe, Gush And Pump All Over Hypersonic"
Buy Now: Strays (Capitol)
- Kiss - Symphony: Alive IV (Sanctuary)
Buy Now: Symphony: Alive IV (Sanctuary)
- Various artists - The Neptunes Present: Clones (Arista)
Read: "Summer Music Preview: Neptunes' Star Trak Presents ... Clones"
- Tamia - Still (Elektra)
- Mariah Carey - Remixes (Sony)