The past meets revisionist history when the classics collide with Vanessa Carlton, B2K, Indie.Arie and others recreating songs from the golden age of rock and roll on the soundtrack to TV's "American Dreams."
American Dreams Original Soundtrack: 1963-1964, according to a Universal Records spokesperson, is due out May 6 and contains tunes featured on the drama series based on growing up in the shadow of the quintessential teen dance program "American Bandstand." Carlton renders her take on "Wishin' and Hopin' " by blue-eyed-soul diva Dusty Springfield; neo-soul crooner India.Arie pays homage to jazzy soul singer Nina Simone on "Come Ye"; and B2K featuring Marques Houston put on their best Temptations for a version of the Motown classic "My Girl." All the present-day artists on the 15-track LP have made guest appearances on the show.
Original songs by the Beach Boys ("Don't Worry Baby"), Martha & the Vandellas ("Heat Wave") and the Zombies ("She's Not There") round out the album.
"American Dreams" co-stars Vanessa Lengies and Brittany Snow also appear on the album, singing backup to Stacie Orrico's rendition of the Angels' "My Boyfriend's Back," and Tonic singer Emerson Hart performs "Generation," the series' theme song.
American Dreams Original Soundtrack: 1963-1964 track list (order not final), according to a Universal Records spokesperson:
- Vanessa Carlton - "Wishin' and Hopin'"
- India.Arie - "Come Ye"
- B2K featuring Marques Houston - "My Girl"
- Duncan Sheik - "Beyond the Sea"
- Stacie Orrico - "My Boyfriend's Back"
- Vivian Green - "Every Little Bit Hurts"
- Emerson Hart - "Generation"
- Martha & the Vandellas - "Heat Wave"
- The Zombies - "She's Not There"
- Simon & Garfunkel - "The Sounds of Silence"
- The Beach Boys - "Don't Worry Baby"
- Otis Redding - "That's How Strong My Love Is"
- The Impressions - "People Get Ready"
- The Everly Brothers - "Gone, Gone, Gone"
- The Kinks - "You Really Got Me"