The Indigo Girls are tapping a host of female performers for a tour that promises to offer what Indigo Girl Amy Ray is calling "a socialist experiment in rock and roll."
Lisa Germano, Jane Siberry, Heart's Ann Wilson, Luscious Jackson's Kate Schellenbach, The Breeders' Josephine Wiggs, Mecca Normal's Jean Smith, Come's Thalia Zedek, Lourdes Perez, and Gail Ann Dorsey (who has played with David Bowie and Tears For Fears) will all be on board for the 12-date tour, which kicks off on August 19 in Portland, Maine. The Indigos are hoping for a harmonious convergence of the differing style and approaches represented by each of the artists who will share the stage. Or as Ray said in a statement released to announce the tour, the plan is to "gather a bunch of musicians from different musical genres who are relatively unfamiliar with each other… throw them on a tour bus together… drop them off at a rock club, and see what happens."
If you want to see what happens (and see opening acts Shonen Knife and Buffalo Daughter), here's where to look:
- 8/19 - Portland, Maine @ State Theater
- 8/20 - Burlington, Vermont @ Memorial Auditorium (w/Buffalo Daughter)
- 8/22 - Cleveland, Ohio @ The Agora (w/Buffalo Daughter)
- 8/24 - Detroit, Michigan @ State Theater (w/Buffalo Daughter)
- 8/25 - Chicago, Illinois @ The Riviera (w/Buffalo Daughter)
- 8/26 - Chicago, Illinois @ The Riviera (w/Buffalo Daughter)
- 8/27 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin @ Rave (w/Shonen Knife)
- 8/28 - Minneapolis, Minnesota @ First Avenue (w/Shonen Knife)
- 8/30 - Cincinnati, Ohio @ Bogart's (w/Shonen Knife)
- 9/1 - Norfolk, Virginia @ Boathouse (w/Shonen Knife)
- 9/2 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania @ Electric Factory (w/Shonen Knife)
- 9/3 - New York, New York @ Roseland