Wu-Tang Clan Investigation Suspended

Police say Loud Records rep who filed charges hasn't returned their calls.

A police investigation into allegations that members of the Wu-Tang Clan beat a record company representative has been suspended, police told Addicted To Noise Thursday morning.

Police in the Chicago suburb of Tinley Park, Ill. have been looking into allegations that members of the
Wu-Tang Clan beat Loud Records rep Jessiah Styles, who filed a complaint on
Aug. 30.

“As of last night, the investigation has been suspended,” Investigator
Steven Vaccaro said. “Styles has not
contacted our unit for further follow-up as he was requested.”

In his complaint, Styles, a marketing and promotions manager for the Clan’s
label, accused Wu-Tang rapper Method Man of kicking him in the head
backstage at the New World Music Theater on Aug. 29, following the group’s
opening set for Rage Against the Machine. Styles also alleged that Clan
members Raekwon, GZA and Inspector Deck, along with band manager “Mook”
Gibson and an accountant referred to in the police report as “Dexter,” prevented him from shielding
himself from Method Man’s blows.

In the nearly five weeks since Styles filed his complaint, Vaccaro said he
made numerous unsuccessful attempts to contact Peter Frankel, a New York
attorney acting as spokesman for the Staten Island band. Police hoped to
arrange for Chicago interviews with the Wu-Tang members fingered by Styles
as a prerequisite to pressing formal charges.

Frankel told Addicted To Noise that he made reciprocal attempts to contact Vaccaro, primarily to
establish to police satisfaction that GZA, also known as Genius, was in New
York City at the time of the alleged beating.

As recently as Sept. 26 Frankel wondered whether the affair might blow
over. “Sometimes these things have a way of disappearing,” he said.
“Especially when there’s a relationship, be it business or personal,
between the parties. Cooler heads prevail, so to speak.” Frankel was
unavailable for comment by press time on Thursday.

Since Styles has apparently bowed out of the picture, contact between the
Wu-Tang and police is now unnecessary, Vaccaro said.

“Several messages have been left [with Styles] and he has not returned
phone calls,” Vaccaro said. Police have attempted to reach him both in
Chicago, where Styles lives, as well as in New York, where he was
reportedly recuperating after the alleged beating. Calls by ATN to Styles’
Chicago phone number — now unlisted — were unanswered.

According to Styles’ complaint, members of the Clan were angered when he
revealed the location of a Wu-Tang afterparty to a Chicago radio station,
unaware that he was being broadcast live. Styles said that after the alleged beating, which
reportedly took place behind closed doors in the band’s dressing room,
Clan rapper Ghostface Killah wiped blood off Styles’ face before the accountant
Dexter escorted him to the venue parking lot.

“It’s not over,” the accountant allegedly told Styles. “Watch your back.
You don’t know who we know out there. There are people you don’t even know

Loud Records has kept a tight lip regarding the band since late August,
refusing to comment either on the investigation, or on the Clan’s departure
from its successful tour with Rage following the Aug. 29 concert. Frankel
has spoken with Loud CEO Steve Rifkind, but would only say, “He is aware of
the situation.” [Thurs., Oct. 2, 1997, 9 a.m. PDT]