City, Ol' Dirty Bastard May Settle Threat Charges

Judge sets April 19 as date for potential settlement of rapper's two terrorist cases, or they'll go to trial.

LOS ANGELES -- For the second time in 24 hours, Rapper Ol' Dirty Bastard appeared in a Los Angeles County Court Tuesday morning (Feb. 9), where a judge set a date for a possible settlement in two terrorist threat cases.

Compton Superior Court Judge James A. Kaddo ruled that ODB's court

cases for threatening to kill nightclub security guards in one incident

and the mother of his year-old child in another would be merged for

disposition purposes April 19.

However, if no agreement is made between the rapper's lawyer, Kevin Barnes, and Compton District Attorney Nicole Flood, the cases will continue to separate jury trials.

Dressed in blue jeans and a red pullover sweater, ODB -- who was cleared of attempted murder charges in Brooklyn, N.Y., last week -- waited before the court for nearly 20 minutes as Flood, Barnes and Kaddo discussed what to do with the cases.

After the hearing, Flood said she will make ODB an offer April 19;

however, if there's no agreement at that time, the security guard case

will return to Santa Monica, Calif., for a jury trial, while the case

involving his ex-girlfriend will remain in Compton, Calif., for the same procedure.

"I'll probably make him an offer, and if we can settle, the cases will be put to bed," Flood said after the hearing. "Otherwise, we'll let the juries decide."

On Monday, a Santa Monica Superior Court judge handling the nightclub

case suggested that the two cases -- which previously had been kept

separate -- be consolidated, due to the similar nature of the charges.

However, Barnes objected to the suggestion, arguing that grouping the

two cases may prejudice the jury. He agreed to allow the cases to be

merged temporarily for administrative purposes, however.

Prior to the Monday hearing, ODB refuted both sets of terrorist threat charges against him, saying that he felt confident the charges will be dismissed, as were charges of attempted murder and weapon possession last week in New York. In that case, police alleged that ODB shot at them after they pulled him over for a traffic violation Jan. 15. ODB spent a week in jail before posting $150,000 bail. But a grand jury decided not to file the charges last week due to lack of evidence.

"When you've got a mouth, you're going to use it, and you can talk how you want to talk," ODB said Monday. "I keep it real. I mean, I am not no terrorist, you know what I mean? I'm not the one who made those accusations like they said I made those accusations."

"A terrorist is someone that bombs somebody's house, or hijacks planes and holds people hostage or bombs big buildings like the United Nations," he continued. "Me, I'm just a regular rap artist who loves women, who loves partying, who loves to f---, who loves people not to lie about him. That's basically it. I'm not no terrorist or nothing like that."

In the first terrorist threat case, ODB is accused of threatening security guards in September at West Hollywood's House of Blues after they ejected him from the club. He has pleaded not guilty to three felony counts of making terrorist threats. The maximum sentence, if convicted on all three counts, is four years and four months in jail.

In the other case, ODB is accused of threatening, in November, to kill

a former girlfriend, who also is the mother of his year-old child. He pleaded not guilty to one felony count of making terrorist threats in that case and faces a maximum of three years in jail if convicted.

Although the woman testified against ODB in December, the rapper

claimed Monday she did not tell police he had threatened her. "She didn't say it," he said. "The officer said that, being that they knew about my other case. They know who Ol' Dirty Bastard is, somewhat, somehow, they heard the name before. ... But it won't stick, because it wasn't meant to stick."

Since his release from jail, ODB has been working on his next solo record, which he said will be titled Nigga Please.

That album will follow up his 1995 solo debut, Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, which included such songs as "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" (RealAudio excerpt) and "Brooklyn Zoo" (RealAudio excerpt).