LOS ANGELES — Three days after being vindicated of attempted-murder charges in Brooklyn, N.Y., Ol’ Dirty Bastard was back in court Monday (Feb. 8), this time to face charges of making terrorist threats against security guards at the House of Blues club here.
The outcome of the hearing was not as satisfying for the rapper as last week’s court proceedings.
Dressed in blue jeans, a black Wu-Wear jacket, a maroon stocking cap and gold-rimmed glasses, a tardy ODB was scolded by Judge Richard Neidorf, who cautioned that ODB would be sent to jail if late for future hearings. The rapper had shown up about 10 minutes after the hearing was scheduled.
The beleaguered Wu-Tang Clan member, who rejoiced as charges of attempted murder of a police officer against him were formally dismissed for lack of evidence Friday, stood as a Santa Monica Superior Court judge moved to put forward a request to consolidate this case with a similar one in Compton, Calif. The Compton Superior Court judge will rule on that request Tuesday (Feb. 9).
Kevin Barnes, ODB’s attorney, has argued to keep the cases separate, claiming consolidation could create prejudice among jury members.
The pretrial hearing at Santa Monica Superior Court was held in connection with a Sept. 16 incident at the House of Blues in West Hollywood, Calif., where the 30-year-old rapper allegedly threatened to kill the club’s security guards. Less than two months later, the rapper was arrested again Nov. 5 for allegedly threatening to kill a former girlfriend, the mother of his year-old child.
Neidorf ruled that a Compton Superior Court would decide if the two separate terrorist-threat cases against ODB should be consolidated. If found guilty on the terrorist-threat charge, he faces up to three years in prison.
ODB was arrested in Compton, Calif., last fall as he allegedly tried to scale the security wall at a building where his ex-girlfriend worked. Approached outside the courtroom, ODB dismissed the idea that he had made terrorist threats.
“It don’t make no sense. You haven’t heard of a terrorist that makes threats against his woman and his child. Usually people when they do things, they do it,” ODB said. “You never hear about people making threats against someone they love. Terrorists are crazy, you know what I mean?”
Attempted-murder charges against ODB were dismissed Wednesday after a Brooklyn, N.Y., grand jury found insufficient evidence to indict the rapper. ODB was alleged to have engaged in a shootout with police in Brooklyn’s Crown Heights neighborhood after being pulled over on a routine traffic violation.
Police were unable to recover the weapon they claimed ODB used, and paraffin tests to determine whether ODB had gunpowder residue on his hands were found to be inconclusive. Police say they will continue to investigate the incident.
Since his release from jail, ODB has been working on his next solo album, which he said will be titled Nigga Please.
That album will follow up his 1995 solo debut, Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, which included such songs as “Shimmy Shimmy Ya” (RealAudio excerpt) and “Brooklyn Zoo” (RealAudio excerpt).